TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Howdy, new hear, with lots of Q's! Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Jakeg1999 Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:14 pm

Hello, I'm new here and I'm a long time admirer of the old v-dubs. I've wanted a bug for a long time now and I'm starting to really consider getting one. I have a ton of questions as I search here and the web to learn about vw's. My main question today is, am I in the right place or is there a different part of the forum for this and should I just start a thread or use this thread to ask all my questions. I'm also ok with just pm-ing someone who is knowledgable and is willing to take the time. Thanks in advance. Jake

Derek Cobb Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:18 pm

Post up your questions! They'll get answered. Lot's of advice here, both good and bad.

And welcome to TheSamba!

Cusser Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:24 pm

Jakeg1999 wrote: new hear.

Yule fittt in reel goodd, Jake !!!

Jakeg1999 Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:50 pm

Awesome, warm welcome already! I'll start easy since I'm on my phone in the backyard enjoying some cold brews and watching my kids play!

Basically I think I'd like to start with a car that is basically turn key but not show room quality. I work in several different locations between 3-10 miles away and I'm hoping to use the bug (open to a squareback too) as a short commuter all within about a 10 mile radius but with the ability to hit the freeway up to 65-70mph. I am not a neat freak and am ok with an exterior that is far from perfect. I'd like a clean classic interior and an overall classic/stock look.

From what I understand I will have to tinker and work on the car and that is ok as I don't mind it at all and am up for learning but I favor reliability over performance.

So with that tidbit of background, (I am in CA by the way) is there a certain year I should look for? I'm not looking for an old classic like a split window but I really don't know much about the year breakdowns. I know for sure I want pre smog which I believe is 1975 for CA.

Basically I'm looking for some prerequisites on what to look for as I browse craigslist or come across local bugs with for sale signs on them. I really don't like the idea of listing a price range as I can be flexible but I am not ready to spend a ton of cash on this car. So I'm thinking of a $6k cap but going slightly above is not out of the question if it's worth it. I'd feel much better in the $2-$5k range though.

Jakeg1999 Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:05 pm

Cusser wrote: Jakeg1999 wrote: new hear.

Thank goodness for no grammar checks or I woulda got that right! Damn, I want to change that title but I'm thinking I'll just let it ride. Grammar and spelling is a small pet peeve of mine but what the hell time to step out of the comfort zone!

Zundfolge1432 Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:06 pm

Cusser wrote: Jakeg1999 wrote: new hear.

Hell ya Bubba, Dew U no Marc tucker?

Jon Schmid Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:26 pm

Zundfolge1432 wrote: Cusser wrote: Jakeg1999 wrote: new hear.

Hell ya Bubba, Dew U no Marc tucker?

Oh, Lord, my head is starting to hurt. Seriously, if you're in SD you're in the hotbed of ACVW's. Check out the local clubs down there or even venture up to the LA basin and check things out.

Jakeg1999 Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:49 pm

I will definitely look into some local clubs, hoping to soak in some good learning from here as well!

Derek Cobb Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:24 am

Use the search function for TheSamba classifieds. You can plug in your budget and get a great list of cars for sale within your budget. I really doubt you'll find a split window that you could afford at that level though.

Cali_Army_Guy Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:45 am

Living in SoCal you'll have a ton of good rust free cars to choose from. 6k is a good budget and you'll get a nice car for that price if you look around and don't buy the first thing you see. Any bug you find, that's running right, will run 70 on the freeway all day. The main thing you want to check for is rust. I've seen some great rust repair builds on here, but for me it's just a waste of time and money when there's so many good cars to chose from.

Just to give you an idea here's my car. I paid $6,000 for it. It's a 1966 with a 1965 1200cc 40 horse. It runs 70mph all day long. I commute 75 miles round trip 5 days a week. I bought this car in March of this year and I've NEVER had a problem with it.

Just be patient in your search. When you rush you often over look things in the excitement.

Jakeg1999 Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:51 am

^^^That is a beauty and right up my alley! I tried the search function with price ranges at that is definitely a good resource to get an idea of what's out there and what you get for your $. I am struggling a bit to find a local club, the only one I have found has a facebook page which seems to be mostly a local "for sale " site. I will dig into it more though.

Is there a book or a site that has basic information on some of the major differences between the years? For example I really like the look of the low back seats. I did a couple google searches on when the high back seats were implimented, I didn't have much luck. I am thinking it's right around the 67' mark? Maybe like a VW book for dummies?

I have another month or two before I get my $ together and I want to try to limit my searching through the classifieds, because I have a little problem with patience when I come across something I like. I'd like to kind of get a handle on which years interest me and then search from there. I am quite flexible and open minded to different setups, with my goals being: reliability as a short distance daily driver even though it will be a second car, mostly complete, classic look (doesn't have to be show quality), fair price/good deal.

Cali_Army_Guy Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:06 am

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/clubs/index.php

I'm not sure how updated this info is or how active the clubs are. Choose California then hit search. They are in alphabetical order by city. Scroll down until you get to the ones in San Diego and try contacting a few of them.

Jakeg1999 Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:10 am

Thanks CAG, I did see that search and I briefly followed a couple links, the main one of interest for me looks to no longer be around. I am sure I will find something. I am a glutton for information/research so I want to be armed with some basic knowledge before I show up at a club.....

60ragtop Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:11 am

Cali_Army_Guy wrote: I bought this car in March of this year and I've NEVER had a problem with it.
This doesn't count as a problem when you drive an old bug :wink:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=657193&highlight=
Jakeq1999, read thru the FAQ'S at the top of the forums. A lot of info about various years and differences

Cali_Army_Guy Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:24 am

60ragtop wrote: Cali_Army_Guy wrote: I bought this car in March of this year and I've NEVER had a problem with it.
This doesn't count as a problem when you drive an old bug :wink:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=657193&highlight=
Jakeq1999, read thru the FAQ'S at the top of the forums. A lot of info about various years and differences

To be fair I caused that "problem" by knocking a wire off the back of my headlight switch :oops:

So aside from my own sabotages it hasn't let me down :lol:

rockerarm Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:13 pm

Yeah, Hi and WELCOME.
Give your post here some car requirements, such as freeway driver, early vintage, fixer upper, mechanically sound, etc. Also an idea of a sale price. Remember ya gotta have it checked out prior to exchanging cash, unless its so cheap its worth the gamble.
Lots of the friendly/family oriented VW club scene up in the LA area here. probably about 5-10 as I recall. You can easily establish/network friends to help in locating a car.
Research the craig list in SD, IE, OC, and LA areas for cars, as they may not know about the samba's classifieds.
Good luck, Bill.

origowner Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:55 pm

San Diego Air Cooled meets every Tuesday Evening at the Carl's Jr, 3rd and Moss in Chula Vista. There are usually over 30 cars and some may be for sale. Among are enthusiasts are mechanics and restorers. There are friendly people who can be your support group. Advice, encouragement, parts exchange, etc.

Check out San Diego Air Cooled on facebook

Jakeg1999 Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:35 am

That's great, I live in Bonita and work in CV! I'll definitely come down and check out some of the cars and hopefully meet some folks. I'm a couple weeks away now from getting my cash together and so I definitely want to learn as much as I can before I pick one up. Jake

Jakeg1999 Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:52 pm

Been doing some homework and even though I am open to any model really I am starting to really lean towards the mid 60's models, not really sure why other than I am more drawn to them. I have a potential issue with my driveway being a little steep, so I was thinking of trying to find one that is not lowered, but it sounds like having a lowered front end really helps handling at freeway speeds. I am also trying to learn a little more about the motors and which is which.

I do have a question though that I see in a lot of ads, and that refers to the "beam". Being ignorant on the matter, is that the distance between the two front wheels? If not, can someone elaborate, and also why narrow it? Jake

Jakeg1999 Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:42 am

Ok I believe I found my answer. Narrowing the beam is reducing the front wheels width/track to allow for lowering the front end and creating a deeper inset look in the fenders, while possibly reducing turning radius? I think I prefer a more stock classic look myself, and I also don't want something too flashy. Not really looking to turn heads, it's all more about selfishly enjoying the ride for myself. I prefer the flying under the radar approach to things. Back to the books!