TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Help needed to ID this engine I bought in a Speedster replica Page: 1, 2  Next
pdmracing Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:18 pm

I purchased this Vintage speedster , Owned by Danny Ganz the late LV entertainer. He had the engine built by the Bug house (according to the current owner spelling may be off) around 2003 or 2004 .

I have another vintage with the 1915 CC with twin solex & this car performs much better The PO said it had dual 2 bbl webers and I took him at that.

Got the car and it turns out it has Fuel injection with twin TB on each side , lumpy cam & headers. No documentation on build has about 1k on it, Any help would be appreciated to ID anything!

pdmracing Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:26 pm

any info on Bug House or Bughause would also be appreciated
Thanks

HRVW Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:32 pm

:?: Is that kit on a early or 68 later chassis?

Original Speedster engine would be a 1100cc 356 as I recall w/o looking up the correct info.......no bigee.

I once had a 57 356A years ago.

Don't see any FI but just a Dual Carb setup......then again my eyes are not that good.

Matthew Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:40 pm

My guess would be CB Performance on the throttle bodies. HRVW musta missed the photos that show the fuel rail and injectors. Pull a valve cover and get some photos in there. The casting number on the cylinder heads will be good to know. What size the engine is now is anyone's guess.

pdmracing Sat Jul 23, 2016 2:47 pm

Matthew wrote: My guess would be CB Performance on the throttle bodies. HRVW musta missed the photos that show the fuel rail and injectors. Pull a valve cover and get some photos in there. The casting number on the cylinder heads will be good to know. What size the engine is now is anyone's guess.

PO said he thought it was a 2.0 What ever it is it wails early 911 fast

I get the VCs off when I service , thanks
P

Dale M. Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:06 pm

What you see is what you have, do research on MSD box,(has 6000 rpm limiter module) do resesrch on EFI box... TB's are sort of immaterial (basically all they are butterflies) as you have to know what program is in ECU and what size injectors are..... As for engine internals, only origionsl build sheet will tell you what you have, or an engine tear down...

Dale

pdmracing Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:14 pm

Dale M. wrote: What you see is what you have, do research on MSD box,(has 6000 rpm limiter module) do resesrch on EFI box... TB's are sort of immaterial (basically all they are butterflies) as you have to know what program is in ECU and what size injectors are..... As for engine internals, only origionsl build sheet will tell you what you have, or an engine tear down...

Dale

6Al typical CG with rev limiter, The Box has no writing or Id numbers left faded out.

mcmscott Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:47 pm

Early CB efi set up, gen1 if you will. Uses a geo storm(vin5) ecu that has been remapped. Also has the adjustment box that uses tps to simulate a map circuit. Usually inside the adjust ment box is the filter to change the anolog ignition signal to digital so the ecu can interpret it. Size of the engine is any one's guess. When I worked at CB this was one of my projects

pdmracing Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:19 pm

mcmscott wrote: Early CB efi set up, gen1 if you will. Uses a geo storm(vin5) ecu that has been remapped. Also has the adjustment box that uses tps to simulate a map circuit. Usually inside the adjust ment box is the filter to change the anolog ignition signal to digital so the ecu can interpret it. Size of the engine is any one's guess. When I worked at CB this was one of my projects

Awesome info thanks. Have you ever Heard of Bughause or Bug house out of Nevada. Danny Ganz Was a big time entertainer and had quite a car collection at the time prior to his death.

mcmscott Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:34 pm

pdmracing wrote: mcmscott wrote: Early CB efi set up, gen1 if you will. Uses a geo storm(vin5) ecu that has been remapped. Also has the adjustment box that uses tps to simulate a map circuit. Usually inside the adjust ment box is the filter to change the anolog ignition signal to digital so the ecu can interpret it. Size of the engine is any one's guess. When I worked at CB this was one of my projects

Awesome info thanks. Have you ever Heard of Bughause or Buck house out of Nevada. Danny Ganz Was a big time entertainer and had quite a car collection at the time prior to his death.

Can't say I have.

ALB Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:47 pm

You could pull a spark plug, set the engine at bottom dead center for that cylinder, put a piece of stiff wire down the hole and turn over the engine to top dead center to get an idea of the stroke. Piston size is anybody's guess until you take a head off. Al

Howard 111 Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:04 pm

That looks very much like my engine, but I threw a turbo in the mix. FI is CB, ignition is MSD as is, it looks like, even the distributor is MSD. It should run very nice, and I would assume the 2007 is correct, but you can check it. Nice find!

pdmracing Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:29 pm

Howard 111 wrote: That looks very much like my engine, but I threw a turbo in the mix. FI is CB, ignition is MSD as is, it looks like, even the distributor is MSD. It should run very nice, and I would assume the 2007 is correct, but you can check it. Nice find!

Thanks! Its a blast

jpaull Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:07 pm

Usually a "Lumpy" cam on a aircooled VW means you have some adjustment to do, not usually "my cam is sooooo radical its lumpy".

Even with a really large cam that MSD and fuel injection should give you a silky smooth idle.

On a V6-V8 Our HP cams would have a nasty idle.

Nice setup!

Howard 111 Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:25 pm

I forgot to mention, anything on that FI system, you can get from CB. Air cleaner filters, linkage pieces, anything you might need, CB carries it.

Rome Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:34 am

Quote: any info on Bug House or Bughause would also be appreciated
I was in LV in 2004 on a business trip. Drove over to the Bug Shack shop just for a look-around. Still have their refrig magnet so I know the spelling is correct. Maybe the PO confused a house with a shack?

Alstrup Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:48 am

Yup, that is a gen 1 CB f.i. Never cared much for those, as there - were - .... rough. But maybe they actually got that one dialed in well. The nice thing is, that if it comes to that the ECU is easlily replacable with a new and more modern unit. - Good find.

Scott, when did you work at CB ? Have we met?

T

pdmracing Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:43 am

Rome wrote: Quote: any info on Bug House or Bughause would also be appreciated
I was in LV in 2004 on a business trip. Drove over to the Bug Shack shop just for a look-around. Still have their refrig magnet so I know the spelling is correct. Maybe the PO confused a house with a shack?

Thanks

911pickup Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:34 am

I had a Gen 1 CB fuel injection kit on my car and couldn't get it to run properly. I ended up pulling the kit and installing Webers.

mcmscott Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:28 am

Alstrup wrote: Yup, that is a gen 1 CB f.i. Never cared much for those, as there - were - .... rough. But maybe they actually got that one dialed in well. The nice thing is, that if it comes to that the ECU is easlily replacable with a new and more modern unit. - Good find.

Scott, when did you work at CB ? Have we met?

T

From about 89 thru 02ish, did alot with the "compitition" fuel injection. In those days there wern't many aftermarket ecu's on the market, most all the systems used a factory ecu at that point. The storm ecu we figured out how to program, it is a sealed unit, and it fit our kit well. It is out dated by todays standard but is very durable. I still have one on my sand car, it runs just as good as the gen 3 version on my thing.