TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Shift Coupler 1967 vw bug
buckyten Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:11 am

Ive scoured through the forums regarding shift coupler. I was wondering if anyone has used or preferred the urethane coupler from Jbugs vs the stock one from wolfsburg. about ready to change coupler and shift bearing bushing and top plate??? thanks everyone. Mike

Cali_Army_Guy Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:32 am

Get the rubber one from WW

rockerarm Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:29 pm

Hi and WELCOME.
If the cage is ok, along with the remaining metal parts why not just get the rectangular bushings? 2 required. Ive personally used their parts.

http://www.eisparts.com/823711477.html

Hope this helps, Bill.

KTPhil Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:49 pm

Many of the metal parts on new ones are poorly made. But if the rubber from the new kit fits, just make a "best of" set of hardware.

grandpa pete Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:08 pm

make shure you watch the video where they use a piece of PVC pipe and two zip tyes to take the shift rod out .......cleaver and easy ....

calvinater Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:41 pm

got a link for that?

fla2smoker Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:42 pm

calvinater wrote: got a link for that?

Not a video but a pic from the gallery

grandpa pete Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:56 pm

Thanks fla2smoker ; the zip tye closest to the thumb goes on loose and is put in ON the pipe and tightened after it is around the shift rod and then the second tye wrap is added ; pull pipe out replace bushing and push back in ; then remove tye wraps ;
Also read about using a brass bushing and replace ONCE .

BluzBug Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:14 am

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=651300&highlight=

grandpa pete Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:38 am

BluzBug wrote: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=651300&highlight=
Thanks ; is there a size or number for the snap ring .

BluzBug Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:54 am

... just a 1" Snap Ring, i went to TSC (Tractor Supply) .. or maybe Lowes, and found one at TSC ;)

The person in the other Post put his in "Full Length" .... i cut mine down to the overall length of the original Plastic one (.625)

(Not rattling yet... i doubt if it ever will)

Tim Donahoe Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:21 pm

I installed the red urethane coupler and it shifted beautifully--nice and tight. But there was a terrible side effect. The hard urethane transmitted the transmission vibration through the shift rod and made a lot of racket. For a racer, I'd definitely recommend the urethane. But NOT for a driver.

VW couplers had a softer rubber toward the center, and harder rubber toward the cage. This eleminated transmitted vibration. So anything that is closer to stock--like the WW coupler--I'd definitely prefer.

Actually, I scored an OEM coupler to replace the new urethane one, and my vibration/annoying rattle disappeared.

Tim

buckyten Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:04 pm

grandpa pete wrote: make shure you watch the video where they use a piece of PVC pipe and two zip tyes to take the shift rod out .......cleaver and easy .... Quote: thanks saw it today will use!!!