TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Water Tank Filler - Open / replace key Hookup
thomasreimer Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:38 am

Hi there,

Bought an 82' westy, the tank filler hook up box has a key on the outside, but the previous owner lost it. Any way that I can take off the hook up box? Or will I have to get a locksmith to get a new key? I ultimately just want it off so I can replace it with a Gowesty hook up box.

Thanks
Thomas

SCM Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:14 am

I assume you're talking about the water tank and not the gas tank.

I forget how that attaches but if the mounting screws are "hidden" when the door is locked shut, I would just cut the door off and then unscrew the box. I doubt any locksmith would be able to get a new key since it's just a hokey piece of plastic anyway. Try ramming a screwdriver in there and twisting it.

If you're just going to replace it there's not much to be gained by playing nice.

Andymon Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:11 pm

I had to unhook the fill hose from the tank along with the vent hose. Then take out the four screw holding the cover on and just pull everything out. I tried to take the filler off first but the hoses kept it to close to the body in order to get a screw driver to undo the clamps.

Paulbeard Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:11 pm

A much searched-for item: take out the lock from the back, once you remove the access port, then send to Steve at www.steveslockshop.com and he'll make you a new key.

MorrisonVan Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:39 am

If it's the water fill cover, I used a cotter pin and bent one of the 2 ends up to 90*. Works like a charm.

jimf909 Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:48 am

A photo would be helpful as there were different versions. You can also ask local Westy owners to let you swing by to use their key to unlock it.

crazyvwvanman Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:45 am

The 82 would have come with a real lock on the water tank filler port. It uses a small metal key that came in many different cuts to match a particular van exactly. Much later vans use a cruder and less secure 'lock' setup, with all using the same so called key.

My local locksmith shop used to make an extra for themselves whenever they cut one of the small keys for a customer. They had a ring with all the different ones they had made for Westy water tank fillers over many years. Then when someone brought in a van to get a filler key they would just take the ring of keys out to the van and try them all. If one worked then it was just a matter of duplicating it for the customer, not very expensive. If none worked then the customer could pay to have them disassemble the lock and make a key for it. Recently I went there with a friend to get a key for their filler and the shop couldn't locate the ring of previous keys. Bummer.

Mark

Vanagon Nut Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:16 pm

crazyvwvanman wrote:

My local locksmith shop used to make an extra for themselves whenever they cut one of the small keys for a customer. They had a ring with all the different ones they had made for Westy water tank fillers over many years. ...... If none worked then the customer could pay to have them disassemble the lock and make a key for it. ......

Mark

This is exactly what I found with my local lock smith. But then none of the keys
worked. I suggested bringing the lock assembly to him. He said he'd key it.
He did the job but from what I recall, it was somewhat a PITA for him even
with the part on his bench. This being the utility port off an '81 Westy.

Removing that utility is not too hard to do but I recall re-connecting the
corrugated hose as being troublesome. But then I'd just bought the bus
so knew less than I know now. (I think ;) )

Neil.

thomasreimer Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:24 am

Turns out, I just needed to give a good yank to the filler to pull it off. It was just stuck really really tight to the body. Once I pulled it off I could dissassemble it easily. Thanks!