TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1964 Split bus Turkis/Blue-White interior factory color?
NL-Scirocco75 Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:46 pm

I am restoring a June 64 Standard (that was wearing) Turkis/ blue-white.

I can't find in topics and tech info nor on other sides the white color code used for the complete interior (i.e. not the pieces like gear and brake levers that are well described in the color schemes) on floors, dash, air box etc.

Would this be the exterior top color (in this case the blue white) or another white color?

Help/reference info is very much appreciated.

EmpiGT Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:04 pm

Yes all the interior body metal on the inside of your bus will be the top color,(blue white) except the inside of the doors, they are two tone like the exterior.

NL-Scirocco75 Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:18 pm

EmpiGT wrote: Yes all the interior body metal on the inside of your bus will be the top color,(blue white) except the inside of the doors, they are two tone like the exterior.

Indeed, i've seen the Turkis overspray on the front doors inside.

The item "all the interior body metal on the inside" is not mentioned in all color schemes in the tech area (or e.g. on the WW site, nor could I found it in og workshop manuals from the restoration shop).

It surprises me that using the same white color for the inside seems obvious for you. I must have missed something?

EmpiGT Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:30 pm

1961 and older it was the bottom exterior body color used on the inside. I'm sure there is a write up somewhere on it.

EverettB Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:54 pm

You are right I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere in the Bus literature.

I think of it as being part of the body so it's the same as the exterior paint.

The removable parts are the parts that are a different white color.

Just to confirm things - I have an original paint Turkis/Blue-White '63 and the dash and overhead vent and floors are all Blue-White.

esde Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:04 pm

EmpiGT wrote: 1961 and older it was the bottom exterior body color used on the inside. I'm sure there is a write up somewhere on it.
I'm working on a 62 that's turkis on the inside, I'm pretty sure it's original paint. Maybe it is a 61 production, or the transition isn't exactly 61?

EverettB Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:09 pm

esde wrote: EmpiGT wrote: 1961 and older it was the bottom exterior body color used on the inside. I'm sure there is a write up somewhere on it.
I'm working on a 62 that's turkis on the inside, I'm pretty sure it's original paint. Maybe it is a 61 production, or the transition isn't exactly 61?

Hmm, not sure when this changed.

The dash is original paint Turkis?

What's the month from the Mcode plate or the VIN #?

esde Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:32 pm

EverettB wrote: esde wrote: EmpiGT wrote: 1961 and older it was the bottom exterior body color used on the inside. I'm sure there is a write up somewhere on it.

Hmm, not sure when this changed.

The dash is original paint Turkis?

What's the month from the Mcode plate or the VIN #?

It's the only layer of paint inside, and given the history very unlikely it's ever been stripped down before. It was bought disassembled with a lot of strange bits, like a Turkis green steering wheel. I'll be w the bus tomorrow welding in floors, will grab a pic of the m code. It's a 15 window if that matters

EmpiGT Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:35 pm

I've seen turkis 1961's with turkis dash. does this 62 have the later 62 style dash with the rounded corner speedo pod?

esde Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:21 pm

I'm not sure on the dash. Here are a few pics I have that show the interior color. Honestly it's a bit more green than turquoise, but it's definitely not been resprayed. The color is places you wouldn't ever get with a respray..

SD

NL-Scirocco75 Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:08 am

EverettB wrote: You are right I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere in the Bus literature.

Just to confirm things - I have an original paint Turkis/Blue-White '63 and the dash and overhead vent and floors are all Blue-White.

"I think of it as being part of the body so it's the same as the exterior paint."
Sounds reasonable, really strange that no documentation describes this, considering the nature of our (German) neighbors :D

I wonder when/how they sprayed the interior during production, would require a lot of taping on each two tone bus to prevent the outer paint to get sprayed over or v.v.

Not easy, but decided to go for full body restauration so the og paint is removed. As I need to decide soon I'll go for blue/white unless more info would pop up.

From the pictures below and previously in day light, I found it hard to say what color it was with 52 yrs history on it.

As to thank you for your input some nice pictures; below the "og white paint" and the "no paint" status after recent high pressure water blasting.

Clara Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:47 am

NL-Scirocco75 wrote: EverettB wrote: You are right I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere in the Bus literature.

"I think of it as being part of the body so it's the same as the exterior paint."
Sounds reasonable, really strange that no documentation describes this, considering the nature of our (German) neighbors :D

I wonder when/how they sprayed the interior during production, would require a lot of taping on each two tone bus to prevent the outer paint to get sprayed over or v.v. ....

IIRC, for 62& later, the whole exterior and cab was painted the lower color.
Then the upper was painted over the lower below the beltline and in the cab.
Having the colour under the 'white' does give a shading to the 'white'.
Is there a thread on where the body was painted? I wouldn't be surprised.

headlight buckets showing SWR under BG on 63 microbus:

headlight bucket wear showing Titian red under BeigeGrey:

esde Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:23 pm

EmpiGT wrote: I've seen turkis 1961's with turkis dash. does this 62 have the later 62 style dash with the rounded corner speedo pod?

EverettB wrote: What's the month from the Mcode plate or the VIN #?

I just got in from welding new cargo floors into this bus. Even though it's been blasted clean there's still remnants of green in lots of corners. The green steering wheel is something I've never seen before either, I'm waiting for a picture of it to come through..

EmpiGT Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:21 pm

That is an odd one. Not even a really early 1962 as in a late 61 production year. Someone must have been hung over from the night before.

daveintactown Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:08 pm

I'm trying to determine the proper grab bar vinyl color for my 63 Turkis/como green. Can anyone enlighten me as to whether ivory or silver beige is correct? They are so dingy I can no longer tell.
Thx.

EverettB Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:14 pm

Silver Beige

widehatch Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:14 am

esde wrote: I'm not sure on the dash. Here are a few pics I have that show the interior color. Honestly it's a bit more green than turquoise, but it's definitely not been resprayed. The color is places you wouldn't ever get with a respray..

SD

i've never seen the rear interior metal of a bus painted the body color behind the headliner