TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Measure endplay, oilfilm
ytsejam82 Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:21 am

Hi, i measured the crankshaft/flywheel endplay to 0.07mm, but now after oiling the shims i have no endplay anymore, at least i do not have the distinct cluck cluck feeling (which seems to make sense cause of oil film)

Should endplay be measured with or without oilfilm on the shims?

Abscate Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:13 am

I would pull this apart and look for dross or dirt in the shim pack, something isn't right.

0.07mm is tight, is that metric millimeters or Imperial?

SGKent Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:38 am

you need .004". That gives you .002" clearance on each side of the shim for oil. It sounds like you may be using too heavy an oil. Regular 30 wt or equal oil normally does not do what you are describing - you can still feel the play.

Starbucket Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:18 pm

Are the shims new? Old shims are OK to reuse if they are flat, if they are "dished" you need new ones. Did you torque the flywheel to the same torque?

ytsejam82 Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:54 pm

Yes its metric.
I used the same torque and the shims are new.

The oil i use ma be a little thick, but it is the oil i gonna use later, its illegal in my country, zinc additive.

SGKent Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:33 pm

ytsejam82 wrote: Yes its metric.
I used the same torque and the shims are new.

The oil i use ma be a little thick, but it is the oil i gonna use later, its illegal in my country, zinc additive.

the oil might change the feel and maybe the endplay by .0005" / 0.0127 mm but not really material unless it is like syrup or grease.

lil-jinx Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:03 am

Engine/oil temp may affect it also.