TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Ever seen or used this bus exhaust before?
Greyshins Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:52 pm

Hi all,

In my search to find a better breathing exhaust, that still looks at least remotely like the stock unit, this website in the UK has the closest thing so far.

http://www.bluebird-type2.co.uk/

It's the " stainless steel stock syle exhaust 15-1600 motors" if your kind enough to take the time to pop on over to the web site

In ultra VW mag, their ad says it's 1 5/8" dia. for 195 pounds?

My questions are:

1. what do you think?
1 1/2. ever seen or used one?
2. ever seen a shop or stateside website carry one?
3. They won't return my email, when I asked to buy one, or ask if they have a dealer stateside.

I'm trying to avoid have a big aftermarket exhaust hitting my bumper, hanging down, etc...any other "stock looking" suggestions would be helpful.

I not ripping on a big aftermarket exhaust, by any means, if I can't pull this off looking stock, I'll be the first one with the sick ass header/phat boy setup :twisted: But this UK exhaust looks like a good comprimise

Thanks again
Jay

krusher Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:20 am

I Have seen them at british shows as bluebird customs go to most of them during the summer. As everything rusts like crazy here in the uk there is a market for stainless steal exhausts.
But I dont know anyone who has one fitted or anything, sorry.

Its gonna cost you $300 + shipping

They probably dont even check there e-mails as a lit of the uk has not got into the computer years yet.

SteveW Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:21 am

I have one fitted on my bus and i'm very happy with it. According to my friend/previous owner they are made to fit Bay window models though, so he modified it to fit. I'm not sure exactly what he did but it was nothing major. I can find out a bit more if your interested..

http://www.65devon.co.uk/Images/campervan012.jpg

from this pic you can see what it looks like on my bus. Its not a close up but you can get the idea. I'm really happy with it! Bluebird should get back to you, i have sent them a few emails and they have replied so maybe try again?

Hope this helps anyways!
Steve.

55samba Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:52 am

I have been thinking about this one, you may have already seen it,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6755&item=2434538569

splitpile Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:24 am

55samba wrote: I have been thinking about this one, you may have already seen it,
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6755&item=2434538569

That is a very restrictive exhaust and should only be used on a stock engine, made in China like most of empis stuff. Lost 15 hp on the dyno using one of these on a 1800 type 1 stroker

Mr. Electric Wizard Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:47 am

New Empi stuff = Complete Crap

bmc350 Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:56 am

55samba wrote: I have been thinking about this one, you may have already seen it,

I bought that exhaust. Haven't installed it yet, but I will as soon as I get done installing my beam. I'm running a 1600 DP, hopefully it will be OK.

Didn't pay 100.00 for it either..

Split Decision Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:30 pm

I've used something similar and it is restrictive. Also, it's better to go with a side-exit exhaust set up that won't draw fumes backwards into the cabin.

Mike

55samba Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:07 pm

good info, here is what I have a std header and turbo muffler that took 13 cuts and welds to tuck up so it does not sit down low. The lowest header pipes used to be the uper header pipes on this. I am also looking for a tight fit exhaust that works good but also is quiet on my 1776/044, 100cam dual 40 kads. Any ideas?

DaveM Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:49 pm

Anybody ever see one of these empi bus exhaust???

... id take any example of one from nos to complete rust/crusty... same for a 'Magic Muffler'

Greyshins Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:37 pm

Thanks to all who replied.

Beautiful bus Steve, and the pictures were great.

The exhaust looks like what I want. Although the ad says it's for a 15-1600 bus motor, which lends it self to being a T1 bus, if your friend thinks its for a T2 then it would be great to find out what mods he had to do...But for 300 plus friggin dollars it better come with a pair of lips that come out from under the dash and...sorry, I digress :shock:

As for the EMPI unit, the hp loss on the dyno rules that out(thanks Splitpile), thanks for the info 55samba, i'd love to see the top half of your bus, looks sweet.

And Mr Electric Wizard, Don't sugar coat how you really feel about EMPI stuff next time. :P

I just bought my first empi "piece" last week, an intake center section that can take a 30/31 or a 34 pict carb.

I'm going to have to hone out the side pipes to clean out the HUGE glops of a JB weld type substance( don't want to insult JB weld here by associating it with this intake :) ) out of the way of the mixture path!

A side note. When they start to induct parts into a VW hall of fame (oh, and were just the group of freakish car zealots that would do just a thing :D )

Among Okrasa, Berg, Deano, there will have to be JB Weld, Bailing wire, duct tape, POR 15, electrical tape, etc, etc... mark my words.

Anyway if money was no object, and I could get those Bluebird slackers to email back( maybe if a promise we'll stop calling what they do in the NFL football) I think the Kymco heater boxes mated with that exhaust would be a beautiful setup.

Ever dyno'd one Keith?

SteveW Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:05 am

Bluebird seem to be a bit slack at the moment on emails as they never replied to mine either. I gave them a call to find out some info for me but i asked about shipping to the states for you and they said they can do it. It would cost approximately £76 so thats about $137 to ship and then you would have to pay your import tax(?) when it arrives to you. You do not pay VAT on the item as you are not in the UK which is good. Also he said he could send the item as a 'gift' and then send the invoice through a few days later. This means you pay no import tax as its classed as a gift. This is the backhand way of paying no import duty!! Some companys will do it others won't so thats a plus that they will! If your interested try emailing them again or ringing them, if possible, and they will help you out. I did say if your interested you would email them so maybe this will remind them to check their emails!!

Hope this helps.
Steve.