TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: New and looking for my first bus! Could use a little advice...
WildStallion Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:43 am

Howdy All, I'm looking for a bus! I have always admired them distantly but I need some family transpo so I think now is the time to get into it. Still getting my bus eyes and researching but I think I'd like to stay in the first gen era as I really dig the split windows and do not need a camper full of neat cabinetry. I'm mostly going for seating capacity.
What I'm wondering though is one, bearing in mind those considerations, would there be much of any benefit to me to going post 1967? I know if I stay pre 68, a good rust free body will be more difficult to come by. As will parts, most likely. It's not to be a super prize winning show bus so matching numbers and perfection are not really concerns. I'll jazz it up as I can but firstly I'm going for reliable transpo.
Speaking of reliable, which engines are generally easier/more difficult to work on? Which ones are generally best for modifying for modern components for better reliability/more power? Another thing i am wondering is if istay in the 1960 -1967 years, did they change much if any between then? Aside from number of windows possibly, lol. Thank you everyone that has taken the time to read this, have a great day!

williamM Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:19 am

The term "reliability" and almost 60 year old buses is a non event- things go bad on stuff that old that never failed -even in the 80's when I was working on them-

There were many "one year only" components.
Splittys were 12 volt for one year-67
all other years were 6vt or PO conversions
Part prices are all over the place- just watch the European ads- gad zooks.
"Search" will be your best friend - and enemy- as you vainly look for the wrong description or part name.

Now that you know this - search the travel threads and look for "I made it without roadside repairs"- Ya I didn't find any either.

WildStallion Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:46 am

Oh ok, thanks for the info on the 67. Haha, true. I have a 60 chevrolet biscayne, always working on it, but, always enjoying it too, lol.

Besides Bay window, camper setups, and slightly more engine displacement, any other major changes to the gen 2? Or is that about it?

Yustrn Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:58 am

Watch this 3-5 times before buying one.

https://youtu.be/snckhUVo8XU

babysnakes Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:29 pm

Baywindow buses have a bit more room,not much. The drivers seat also has a bit more room. People tend to lean over on Splitty steering wheels not so much on the Bays. The Bays have a more comfortable suspension. They cost less and since they are not as old as splits they may have less rust. The early Bays('68-'71) have a type one engine and are easier to work on and remove. '72 and later have larger T-4 engines with the latest with fuel injection. What you need to do is drive a couple of splits and bays to determine which ride you like better. Then start checking on parts prices to see what you will be able to afford in the long run. And watch the above posted video as mentioned.

hitest Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:33 pm

The "which year or model is best" topic is kind of a Pandora's box here as opinions vary quite a bit. It's almost easier to decide what you don't like than what you do. As suggested, search. That aside- a few of my opinions:

6volt can be made just as reliable (if not more) than 12, because it inherently allows fewer owner-customized do dads that effect the electrical system's capacities.

Old, as you know with your Chevy, is usually a better bet for value later on.

If your Biscayne has already been "restored," then you know they're only original once- so I always look for the least-molested examples of anything so you know what you're starting with.

A for which year is best- I say unto thee. Buy the one you imagine yourself driving- not what you imagine yourself selling. Something odd happens when you are in something YOU like- you take better care of it. You'll stop short of the stop sign just fine with drum brakes vs. discs because you care.
You tend to maintenance issues the same regardless of year because you care. And you forgive the added expense of some older parts vs. newer because again, you like what you drive. Good luck!

WildStallion Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:17 pm

Bahahahahahahaha, that video... it's sad but true, lol. I learned to drive and maintain a 67 beetle, many many moons ago... thanks for the pointers and opinions everyone, I appreciate it. There is an old split for sale at a local speed shop. Don't know much about it, or if it even runs. But it is there and available. We'll see... thanks everyone.

gt1953 Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:56 pm

If you want one that is dependable...convert it to a Subaru engine and you will be very happy.