TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: welding - I did something wrong
oldthingguy Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:25 pm

I was welding some holes up in my single cab today, they turned out fair but the real problem came afterwards. I went to start it and the gauges come to life but when I turn the key to the start position nothing happens. I have 12v at the battery and coil......any thoughts? All fuses look good too. Ugh!!

GLHTurbo Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:32 pm

was the battery disconnected during welding?

esde Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:06 pm

Yes, you probably fried the ecu.

Abscate Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:25 pm

There are lots of EC........U in the classifieds, no worries

jason Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:13 pm

You hook it back up correct? Does nothing include cranking over?

oldthingguy Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:15 pm

Silly me did not disconnect the battery. I went underneath it tonite and jump started the starter with a screw driver....it turned over. I went in and the car turned over with the key. I tried it again and nothing. Went under again and did the screw driver trick again, the Bendix spun but not the starter. I went in the cab and it started with the key, did that about 5 times and all was well. Maybe the starter going bad? Did I do something to the Bendix May have to get a new starter?? Thanks for the replies.

BarryL Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:57 am

oldthingguy wrote: Did I do something to the Bendix
When you turn the key to start it begins a chain reaction and doesn't actually send full juice through the ignition to turn the start armature. The start solenoid has a fine winding of copper wire that creates a magnetic field strong enough to pull a metal cylinder that is connected to the Bendix. When the Bendix is fully pulled in it makes contact with the big battery wire and that sends full current to the armature through a metal contact.

When you weld there are super strong jolts of stray current sent through the metal of your bus and theoretically it returns to the ground you clipped on from your welder. If you didn't disconnect your busses battery ground then some of the jolts can find their way around through places that shouldn't get jolted. It's possible that a little tit formed on the solenoid contact that created a tiny insulation point that you corrected by operating it over and over. Worst case is there is a break in the fine winding. Time will tell.

Or it might be something as simple as a Gremlin that went back into hiding.

kintail Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:58 pm

Did you weld in an area that the wiring harness is in and burn the wires? Seen it done......

oldthingguy Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:53 pm

BarryL - thank you for the explanation and hopefully it was a simple item like you described. Today it started just fine, I'll keep my fingers crossed. Eventually I will replace the starter as I know nothing of it's history and none came from the previous owner.
BTW - some have asked about wires, I was welding some holes in the top portion of the bed floor.
Thanks for all your replies....... :)