TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: My first AirCooled. 1962 Ragtop! So far........ Page: 1, 2  Next
BIG NIC Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:34 pm

Hello!

My name is Nic... I just picked up my 1962 Beetle Sunroof a little over a week ago from a sweet lady (my dad's old co-worker from a long time ago) who has had it parked in her garage for a few years now. About 2 years ago I made her a fair offer that she had to "think about a bit" and she finally was ready to let it go :D

So, the car is a blast to drive so far. Haven't had a chance to drive it or work on it as much as I would like YET but.... soon enough!

So Far.....
- Bug ran great on the drive down to my office and went to drive home... no major problems at first. Brake pedal was mushy but car ran and idled decently for sitting in her garage for who knows how long

- Then, on my way home, car began to bog like it was starving for fuel and I was able to coast about 30 feet away from my house and push it the rest of the way. Turned out to be the Fuel Pump.. press pin worked its way out some how. After a quick rebuild with my buddy Larry car fired right back up.

-Next was to figure out the mushy brake pedal. Pulled the spare tire and the reservoir cap was shriveled to junk! And the reservoir was near empty. After inspection... looked like the rears were the only leaks.
So far, the rear brakes have been gone over. The fronts will have to wait until my budget permits front disk.

For now, I will do an oil change on it tonight... But this is my very FiRST AirCooled VW. Growing up my dad I remember putting around in his '67 Beetle and helping him do his brakes. Excited to enjoy this old thing 8)

The rear brakes when I got them and then after breaking 3 breaker bars on the axle nut. What a pain :x

Before

After

Let me know what you guys think and if there is anything I should do first to it?!

BIG NIC Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:38 pm

I am guessing I need to move the Fuel Filter somewhere.... or what are thoughts on the metal filters?

Also, spark plugs.... I believe this is just a stock 1200. Resistor versus Non-Resistor... what is the difference?

63vdubbug Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:46 pm

Sweet bug!

carcrazed Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:22 pm

Nice bug!! YES, get rid of that damn plastic filter and put a metal one underneath the car near the transaxle. Ask me how I know that plastic filters crack! :evil: :evil: :evil:

67ctbug Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:30 pm

Great looking bug!

BIG NIC Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:15 pm

carcrazed wrote: Nice bug!! YES, get rid of that damn plastic filter and put a metal one underneath the car near the transaxle. Ask me how I know that plastic filters crack! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Ooh no!! :cry:
It is parked until I can get that filter. Anyone have a picture of how they have theirs mounted by the transaxle?

67rustavenger Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:42 pm

Really like the look of your car.
Filter relocation pic below.

Good Luck.

hitest Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:04 pm

Congratulations and welcome to the anthracite '62 ragtop ownership club!

Ovally Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:57 am

The aftermarket BDC drums are much softer than the original VW drums.
It is better to use the later style stock axle nuts.
These nuts have a larger contact area where it meets the drum.

Regards, Armand

allsidius Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:25 am

BIG NIC wrote: So far, the rear brakes have been gone over. The fronts will have to wait until my budget permits front disk.

Why mess up an original car like this? Front drums are quite effective when adjusted properly and they cost a song to refurbish. I would replace the shoes and pumps as necessary, adjust and drive safely without worrying about 5% better stopping power of discs.

BIG NIC Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:42 pm

67rustavenger wrote: Really like the look of your car.

Good Luck.

Thanks you! And thank you for the picture... that is really appreciated!

Also, Thank you for the suggestion on the axle nut. I will pick some up soon and still debating on just rebuilding the front stock brakes or getting a disc brake kit. :oops:

Next on my list of things to do:

- Change the OLD sitting motor oil. After a quick search I am planning on 20w-50 and a new oil screen. What is the volume on this assuming its just a stock 1200, about 4 quarts?

- Cleaning/degreasing the Oil Bath and it's top... and then putting some fresh oil in.

- Relocate a new plastic fuel filter near transaxle (as pictured) and remove the old one and replace with a new solid piece of fuel line.

Is there anything else I need to be on the look out for with these old VW's?

h~moto Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:32 pm

Quote: breaking 3 breaker bars on the axle nut

Make sure you get the axle nuts tight - like 217 foot pounds tight!

Quote: What is the volume on this assuming its just a stock 1200, about 4 quarts?

2.6 quarts
From the picture, it looks like it may be newer than a stock 1200.

Quote: Why mess up an original car like this? Front drums are quite effective when adjusted properly and they cost a song to refurbish.

Agree.

BIG NIC Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:54 pm

UPDATE:

- Relocated the Fuel Filter to above the transaxle... Thanks to my buddy Larry!

- Also, Fuel Pump's pin still wanted out so I bought a Repair kit (TR from Brazil..) and it was junk. Should have only used the new pin with the C-clips.. ripped the old diaphragm so had to use the new kit and it increased the fuel pressure so much that the carb was being flooded with gas!

- Ended up buying a $30 non-rebuildable type fuel pump and the car fired right up :D

- New Spark Plugs in... MUCH needed. Old ones were whitish grey ashy!

- My buddy Larry Adjusted the Carb and timing a little!

- Then FIRST putt on the Freeway out to a WolfPack BBQ... Drove just fine 8)

Was great seeing all the old VW's...

But NEXT on my list of things to do...

- New Distributor... I am looking at the Bosch Mechanical Advance unless there is a reason to stay with the Vacuum style Distributor. I need to either rebuild the one I have or just get a new one. Would love to do away with the points too.

- An Electronic Ignition of sorts. :roll: :wink:

- And I am still looking towards those Front Disk. I just like the look and a little more braking power wouldn't hurt. But that wont be for a month or so.

- Enjoy this thing... Its a blast to drive this. I actually hit 60 MPH on the 101 Freeway and was smooth! 8)

EVfun Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:00 pm

I'm a Volksaholic
And I won't change
Even if my loved ones insist
So screw the haters

Welcome to the support group!

Sharp64 Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:18 pm

What are the symptoms that make you feel the distributor needs rebuilt? That car looks to be in amazing condition and I'm guessing it's relatively low mileage? You shouldn't really be having issues with the distributor. If you feel it truly needs rebuilt contact TASB here and have him rebuild it for you. It's cheaper than buying a new one and the quality of the OG dist's is miles above the crap being put out now.

I'm going to third the "why mess with such a nice original car?" Im by no means a stock Nazi, but seriously that thing is gorgeous and doesn't need "upgrades". At least if you do make some changes, keep everything so the next owner can put it back to stock if they choose.

Busstom Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:05 pm

BIG NIC wrote: ...still looking towards those Front Disk. I just like the look and a little more braking power wouldn't hurt...

You won't be able to see those discs through the stock wheels, nor realize any braking improvement without wider tires...those stock drums will easily lock up those skinny tires in a pinch. Improved braking can be realized through skilled application of the brake pedal.

62donb Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:14 pm

Great '62, I have one also! :D

What, no interior pictures? :lol:

EverettB Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:55 pm

Sharp64 wrote: What are the symptoms that make you feel the distributor needs rebuilt? That car looks to be in amazing condition and I'm guessing it's relatively low mileage? You shouldn't really be having issues with the distributor. If you feel it truly needs rebuilt contact TASB here and have him rebuild it for you. It's cheaper than buying a new one and the quality of the OG dist's is miles above the crap being put out now.

I agree with this - use an original vacuum-advance one if possible.

I did notice you do not have the original carb. and distributor for a '62.
The carb. is fine as it's just a later one and still looks to be a good German Solex one.
The distributor... what is the model # of the one that is in there?
It could be the wrong one for that carburetor so it's not getting a good vacuum signal for the car to drive "correct".

The user tasb on here can tell you what one would be best to use - he also rebuilds and sells rebuilt ones.
His ads
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=tasb

Edit: I looked at your engine again and I see a yellow sticker on the left hand lower side:

I believe this means you have a factory rebuilt engine so there is a good change this is a GREAT engine and everything should be dialed in as long as it's not been messed with. Maybe the distributor just needs to be re-lubed or something.

Sharp64 Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:58 pm

You can also go to www.oldvolkshome.com to compare your dist and carb to see what should be on it or at the very least makes sure you have ones that are compatible.

Zundfolge1432 Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:02 pm

BIG NIC wrote: 67rustavenger wrote: Really like the look of your car.

Good Luck.

Thanks you! And thank you for the picture... that is really appreciated!

Also, Thank you for the suggestion on the axle nut. I will pick some up soon and still debating on just rebuilding the front stock brakes or getting a disc brake kit. :oops:

Next on my list of things to do:

- Change the OLD sitting motor oil. After a quick search I am planning on 20w-50 and a new oil screen. What is the volume on this assuming its just a stock 1200, about 4 quarts?

- Cleaning/degreasing the Oil Bath and it's top... and then putting some fresh oil in.

- Relocate a new plastic fuel filter near transaxle (as pictured) and remove the old one and replace with a new solid piece of fuel line.

Is there anything else I need to be on the look out for with these old VW's?

20w50 is too thick, your car needs 10w30 that's it.