TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Boner! No support for tranny when engine pulled.
andrewvwclassic Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:01 pm

When I pulled the engine to replace my clutch pad I kind of let the tranny fall until it stopped at which point I continued to let it hang for a night. It never dropped to the ground and the front support seems ok. was wondering whet to look for for damage since I figured out that was not ok to do. I thiught on my defence that the tranny would rest on the trans axles and there would be no damage to the front mount area. Anything I should check before I take it back on the road and any explanation why the transmission never fell down to the ground. thanks Btw 71 squareback

Multi69s Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:30 pm

Off the top of my head, I think front trans mount and CVs. Obviously check the trans mount for tears. More then likely, the CVs are OK, but there is a possibility that a cage could have been cracked if things were lined up just wrong.

andrewvwclassic Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:38 pm

thanks man, Cv's never crossed my mind. the rubber mount looks ok. I will check the boots as well. I found this thread as well guy did the same thing also mentions the shift rod being affected but I had been through all the gears parked already no problem. Guess I got away lucky this time.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=480789&highlight=transmission+front+mount

Tram Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:57 pm

I have to say I don't think I've heard anyone refer to a blooper as a boner for 40 years! :D

Tram Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:00 pm

andrewvwclassic wrote: thanks man, Cv's never crossed my mind. the rubber mount looks ok. I will check the boots as well. I found this thread as well guy did the same thing also mentions the shift rod being affected but I had been through all the gears parked already no problem. Guess I got away lucky this time.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=480789&highlight=transmission+front+mount

I've done this before in a hurry on the side of the road with limited tools and I think you'd have to work hard at it- or be really unlucky... to cause any serious damage to a MT car. An Automatic, now... yeah.

I'm not recommending anyone make a practice of it, though.

andrewvwclassic Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:21 pm

Tram wrote: andrewvwclassic wrote: thanks man, Cv's never crossed my mind. the rubber mount looks ok. I will check the boots as well. I found this thread as well guy did the same thing also mentions the shift rod being affected but I had been through all the gears parked already no problem. Guess I got away lucky this time.

I've done this before in a hurry on the side of the road with limited tools and I think you'd have to work hard at it- or be really unlucky... to cause any serious damage to a MT car. An Automatic, now... yeah.

I'm not recommending anyone make a practice of it, though.
Thanks for the vote it is much appreciated, this is my first pull on one of these and I def. dont plan on making a habbit out of it. thanks