TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Syncing (balancing) carbs for $0 dollars
GoWestYoungMan Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:11 pm

Didn't want to spend money on a carb sync tool so I googled some ideas and for a grand total of nothing, made my own to get my Weber 44's working together. It worked great.

All I needed was
- 2 plastic Gatorade bottles
- tape
- vinyl tubing (mine was from an old aquarium project I think)
- 2 little red electrical butt splice connectors:

I pulled the twist tops off the Gatorade bottles and cut the nozzles til the vinyl tubing would push through. Those tubes go from the bottom of one bottle to the bottom of the other and transfer water to one side or the other.

I put equal water in each bottle which you can't really see in the pic (blue line in first pic). Could have dyed it to make it easier to see I guess.

Then I put another hole in the bottle caps and fed the longer tubes in so they ended just a little below the cap. These are the lines that go to the vacuum hole on the carb on each side and depending on which carb is pulling harder the water will move to that side because of the greater vacuum.

To get the lines to fit snugly into the carbs, I used red electrical butt connectors, cut off both flared ends and shaved the red plastic down with a Dremel so that it exposed the aluminum connector inside. When I pushed that aluminum connector into the vacuum hole and turned it was just big enough to grab the threads and pull itself in tight - the vinyl around it sealed the hole tight and the tube slipped right over top for a perfect fit.

Disconnected the carb linkage, then started her up. One side was definitely losing water to the other side, so I knew that side wasn't pulling as hard. Increased the idle rpm on that side til the water was stable - so I knew both sides were pulling equally. Had to do a bit of back of forth to get the rpms equal but not above 1000 rpm.

When I blipped the throttle I could see the bottles were both contracting slightly so there was definitely good vacuum but the water stayed at the same level.

Went to each carb and leaned them out with the mixture screws and then backed off a half turn so they were running the same and tweaked the idle screws again. Tightened up the throttle linkage and it was done.

It definitely runs the smoothest I've ever heard. Well worth the hour or so playing around to make the sync tool. Now I *know* it's even, not just guessing anymore.

B Ramsey Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:23 pm

And knowing is half the battle..

Dale M. Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:58 am

Yeah manometer method, probably better setup then any over carb throat sync tool (snail) ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_WDF6glD5k

Dale

heywebonya Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:29 am

Clever and efficient. Thanks for sharing.

Any tricks for balancing wheels?

Bashr52 Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:24 pm

heywebonya wrote: Clever and efficient. Thanks for sharing.

Walmart stickers

B Ramsey Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:43 pm

heywebonya wrote: Clever and efficient. Thanks for sharing.

I have one. Spindle mounted to vise, brake drum with bearings lubed with WD-40. Mount wheel and spin, note where it stops. The heavy part is at the bottom. Add weights where needed until wheel has no heavy spots.

Ok, two tricks. Break bead a and put in a couple golf balls. Did this on a big ol 4x4. Worked amazing.