TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: SO42 Spice rack... how much would you pay?
lorse Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:12 pm

I know it's a hard to find part and 250 clams seems way out of the park... so... how much cake would you put out for one?
let's say... this one: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/index.php?alert+200403140753336018

toydude111 Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:20 pm

For that rack, maybe $20. It's not very nice.

Roamingwesty Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:29 pm

they used to be around 75 bucks two to three years ago. that's the average condition.

with the said one:

1. the top strip has lamination broken off at both bottom corners. won't hold nails.

2. the 2nd-to-top strip has new nails put in to hold it in place, so obviously it has fallen off previously, and once it starts to do that it'll require constant attention to be held in place.

now, assume it's prestine, so with the inflation and rare item market rate i'd consider it maybe 100 to 150. with problems it's marked down, therefore i'd pay 65 to 95 for it.

it's nice to have the hardware to hang it with, especially if it's the original ones (the owner didn't clarify in the ad.) but the owner has priced it for the trailer queen catagory with a not-so-perfect rack. it depends on how necessary it is for you to have it. either way it's not a deal of the century.

i haven't used the spice rack much. yes it holds misc stuff. but the closet holds more. it's there for the completion more for its usefulness (80/20) personally.

crofty Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:45 pm

NO more than $75.00 for sure. That one in the pic is OK, in the $60.00-70.00 range if it had all the correct hardware.

lorse Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:05 pm

The seller pm'd me sayin' he'd take $200.
I'm thinkin'.... no way.... that's almost as much as I payed for my first bus! [-(

doveblue3 Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:40 pm

lorse wrote: The seller pm'd me sayin' he'd take $200.
[-(

the proper response to "ill take $200" is "i bet you would!"

spookymulder Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:44 pm

hard to come by part, it all depends on how bad you need it and how long your willing to wait. I see a guy at Pomona swaps selling absolutely dead on reproductions for $250 and he doesn't have any problem selling them!

german_metal Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:51 pm

I would by at least $10 for some drawings though....... :lol:

$250 is too much for me even though I need/want one........

Major Woody Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:01 pm

$100-150. That thing is hammered. This is an extremely tough part to make even if you do have measurements, because it's mostly laminate. I don't think $250 for a perfect reproduction is unreasonable either.

One more reason to buy a complete unmolested camper.

splitpile Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:29 pm

If you need it what ever it cost, if you just want it then whatever you would pay.
I need the door cabinet for my 63 flipseat and got boned out of one on E barf, my auto snipe bid didn't work and I lost it over 19 dollars, I was willing to pay 150 dollars for it and would pay that today for a decent one

crofty Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:31 pm

Damn I made one that holds a stove I 'll sell for $75.00!

There was a guy who lived near SLO that was making them and selling them for $75.00 a few years back.

lorse Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:37 pm

crofty wrote: Damn I made one that holds a stove I 'll sell for $75.00!

There was a guy who lived near SLO that was making them and selling them for $75.00 a few years back.

Now that's in my ball park! I'd love to find that guy... he could be my neighbor!?

The stove holdin' one... that's for the '63, right?

Uniballer Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:26 pm

Jeez its made out of wood and some shitty trim. Just make it your damn self. I made my own for my Riviera with just a few dimensions that Nitty gave me. The interiors in these VW campers aint rocket science, it was put together buy some bum in a shop back in the 60's theres no reason anyone cant do the same thing. Anyone askeing $250 for gloreified firewood, needs to have his nuts stomped in...that also goes for the guy charging 100 bucks for a baby shit yellow stained spare tire cover. It makes me wonder are there people out there willing to pay these rediculous prices so thats why they charge so much?

Ian Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:42 pm

I agree with Uniballer. This is beyond ridiculous. Just make one!

Uniballer Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:25 pm

They didnt make these things from NASA grade materials not available to the public..its just baltic birtch in diferant thicknesses that is available by special order from most specialty wood supply shops. 1/8" thick 5'X5' sheets are like 11 bucks, and 1/2" thick are like 18 bucks.

lorse Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:02 pm

what about the laminate?

Uniballer Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:52 pm

I dont know what type of laminate it has..but from what I can see its like the stuff thats used on edges of furnature made from partical board. Im shure with a little bit of searching you can find a close or close enough substitute. Makeing your own can take a little bit of searching and some work..but damn just think of how many hours you have to work to get 250 bucks. Id rather just work a couple hours makeing one and have alot more satisfaction when Im done.

Major Woody Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:55 am

Uniballer,
Lorse is talking about the surface laminate (like formica), not the putty colored T molding on the edge which is available only in 3/4 not the narrower width as original. Westfalia used this stuff everywhere in the 60s interiors. The spice rack would not be too tough to accurately reproduce in small batches if someone could source a close match for this laminate.

By the time you search high and low for a quarter sheet of this funky rare laminate (assuming you can even find a reasonably close match), obtain patterns and make all the pieces and rout the slots that the shelves fit in, make the thinner pieces for the "face" pieces, cut and install the brass piano hinge at the top and fabricate the special bracket for the door, put it all together with concealed connectors, exterior glue and brass nails, and apply a nice finish, $250 starts to look like not such a bad deal unless your time is worth nothing to you.

Ian do you have a westy?

crofty Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:58 am

[quote="lorse"] crofty wrote: neighbor!?

The stove holdin' one... that's for the '63, right?

It is the same dimensions as a SO42 spice rack. I had it in my '65 for a while.

crofty Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:00 am

splitpile wrote: If you need it what ever it cost, if you just want it then whatever you would pay.
I need the door cabinet for my 63 flipseat and got boned out of one on E barf, my auto snipe bid didn't work and I lost it over 19 dollars, I was willing to pay 150 dollars for it and would pay that today for a decent one

Tell me about it. That same guy was selling a flipseat table and I lost out on it by $2.50!!!! I'll keep an eye out for you. Have an extra table? I'd drop about the same for one of those.