TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: AA exhaust system - any comments on this system?
vwfan Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:12 pm

I am considering getting this exhaust system and I wanted to ask the VW community to see if anyone has any comments on it? Also does anyone know who makes it for them? Thanks

theastronaut Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:36 pm

I had the stainless 1.5" sidewinder on my 1679cc. Good tone, kind of on the loud side though. No trouble fitting it.

CHUBB805 Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:39 pm

If you're talking about the "sidewinder" exhaust from AA, I got one on my bug. It's a pretty nice system for the price. Has a low tone to it that I really like, but some may find annoying in a daily driver. You kinda have to yell at your passengers. The biggest negative for me is having to drop the muffler to adjust valves, but that only takes a few extra minutes so no big deal.

Erik G Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:41 pm

there was a post in the split bus forums you probably should read. Loud drone, cracking, etc

vugbug68 Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:42 pm

I just bought the 1-5/8" for my 2109cc I haven't put the engine back in my car yet but that engine is noisy already, straight cuts, chromoly pushrods, CB rhino mounts in my stripped out car. I need ear plugs :D

Singerdude Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:07 pm

It looks good and have a "perfomance sound" to it, but like it's been said, kind of loud and drony. I have leaking issues at the J-tube junctions with mine wich leads to popping on decel. Also had some plates come lose inside the muffler. That was 2 unpleasant weeks of stink eye from the neighbors!!! People could hear me downshift from two towns over!!! So I had to have the muffler cut open and then everything welded back in place and now it's fixed. All in all it's what you'd expect from a cheap knockoff. But I still wish I'd bought the real deal....