TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Any tips on disassembling a type 4 oil pump for rebuild?
mrcool Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:54 pm

I am having a hell of a time disassembling this type 4 oil pump. Any tips?
There is a spot in the back for a M6 screw that I could take advantage of but I don't really have the means to make a U shaped puller that could utilize that.

timvw7476 Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:23 am

I've threaded a small bolt in there, clamped a viseGrip to the bolt head,
and worked the four mounting boss ears till the center released.
Small(ish) taps, you don't want to remove a mounting ear.

Wildthings Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:36 am

You can use any stiff enough piece of metal or wood with a hole in the center to act as the cross bar for a puller and then two blocks of wood for the puller's legs.

mrcool Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:31 am

Thanks Tim and Wildthings! Looks like I was on the right track with the M6 hole. I was nervous about breaking the mounting ears... Slow and steady it will be!

SGKent Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:42 am

mine came apart hitting it gently on a pine board.

Vanapplebomb Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:09 pm

SGKent wrote: mine came apart hitting it gently on a pine board.

The two pumps I had appart did the same. Just knocked them on the work bench a couple times and it started separating.

If that doesn't work, thread in a bolt or stud to the hole in the back side, open up a bench top vice wide enough to pass the pump bore but not the pry-out tangs, catch (but don't clamp!!!) the pry-out tangs in the bench top vice, and tug the center piece out with the vice grips on the thread in bolt/stud. It shouldn't take too much force.

whip618 Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:28 am

I made this puller years ago, it works nicely especially when taking apart an old pump that is caked with old oil.

Phil

mrcool Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:50 pm

Phil! again with the awesome tools! I "needed" that and your deck height tool to make my life easier :)

Wildthings Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:10 pm

Vanapplebomb wrote:
If that doesn't work, thread in a bolt or stud to the hole in the back side, open up a bench top vice wide enough to pass the pump bore but not the pry-out tangs, catch (but don't clamp!!!) the pry-out tangs in the bench top vice, and tug the center piece out with the vice grips on the thread in bolt/stud. It shouldn't take too much force.

Somewhere I actually have a "U" shaped piece of bar stock I bend to do this job, but since it is typically buried pretty deep I usually just do what you suggest. I put the pump in the vise, thread in a suitably long bolt, and then use a nail puller under the head of the bolt to pries the pump apart.

mrcool Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:18 pm

I didn't have tools to do any "fancy" cuts in metal stock so this is what I put together from home depot.

I bought a 3" pvc adapter, 1/4" aluminum stock, M6X1.0 60mm bolt
Cut a 5" piece of aluminum or so and drilled a 15/64" hole that just fit the M6 bolt.

When assembling do you guys just use a light coat of oil or no oil so the surfaces seal better? Oil up the o ring for sure.