TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Feeler & YTM ads...
0nebadbug Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:46 pm

Is there any point on doing a feeler ad? Yes ...or ... No... and why or why not...

Need some insight here...

TDCTDI Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:54 pm

You either want to sell it or you don't, feeler ads are just some wishy-washy idiot that can't make a decision. If you don't want to sell it, put an unreasonable price on it or don't do it.

60ragtop Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:07 pm

feeler ads :roll: I pass them by. Never did understand them either

Malokin Martin Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:23 pm

Because people respond. It's curosity. People can't help themselves. The same thing happens with obvious scam adds on CL: Multiple people reach out for that cheap deal because 1/100 is a legit.

Sometimes the poster is just too lazy to research the market value and wants an average. Unless it's something rare with no current comparison, which is usually not the case.

"Feeler/YTM/offer" adds are always kind of sad for me though. I feel like most of the time it's just someone who wants to get above market on something. Jesus I'd hate to be in a financial place in life where I'm sifting through the boat load of responses to my fat chick feeler add because I need that extra $500 to keep my lights on.

KTPhil Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:01 pm

Malokin Martin wrote: ...my fat chick feeler add because I need that extra $500.

Oops, I was taking this in a totally different way, sorry.
;-)

EverettB Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:07 pm

TDCTDI wrote: You either want to sell it or you don't, feeler ads are just some wishy-washy idiot that can't make a decision. If you don't want to sell it, put an unreasonable price on it or don't do it.

This, make a decision!

Or what someone else says, they are waiting for someone to make them an insane offer.
Yeah, that doesn't really happen, you just get people saying "How much?" or making you offers that will make you mad at the world.

Sharp64 Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:18 am

I think it depends on the item. As was mentioned before in a thread complaining about people listing cars/items at high prices, I have posted up items (non VW related) without prices mentioning that I was simply thinking about selling a certain desirable item and within an hour had it sold for more than I would have ever thought someone would pay... Granted, I think the VW culture seems more geared towards being as cheap as possible, it does work in at least some arenas.

mark tucker Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:27 am

so.. whats a feeler add? craiglslist prostitute? :shock:

static Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:47 am

mark tucker wrote: so.. whats a feeler add? craiglslist prostitute? :shock:
A "feeler ad" goes something like this: "I have a 1972 VW blah- model, and I am thinking of selling it. What are the 72 blah-blahs going for right now?"

These sort of ads set my teeth on edge.

Zundfolge1432 Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:26 am

static wrote: mark tucker wrote: so.. whats a feeler add? craiglslist prostitute? :shock:
A "feeler ad" goes something like this: "I have a 1972 VW blah- model, and I am thinking of selling it. What are the 72 blah-blahs going for right now?"

These sort of ads set my teeth on edge.

Not me, I'll offer the indecisive butt wipe scrap value for the car and I'll do it with a straight face. Who says you can't have fun and turn it around on them?

EverettB Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:35 am

Sharp64 wrote: I think it depends on the item. As was mentioned before in a thread complaining about people listing cars/items at high prices, I have posted up items (non VW related) without prices mentioning that I was simply thinking about selling a certain desirable item and within an hour had it sold for more than I would have ever thought someone would pay... Granted, I think the VW culture seems more geared towards being as cheap as possible, it does work in at least some arenas.
Thanks for the feedback.

I can totally see it working with hard to find stuff.

0nebadbug Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:48 pm

Perfect input! Exactly what I'm looking for...

As much as I usually side-step past the Feelers & the YTM ads like the plague, Sometimes just trying to find what a market will bear sort of leaves you no other real option

There was a time when eBay was a really good tool for gauging interest & value and was pretty damn accurate. But they're so screwed up these days it's nearly useless.

The reason I started this discussion.... Recently we were offered a very special piece and time is absolutely of the essence. As a family we've already discussed about which vehicle to move so we're not sitting on any fences. The problem, is trying to find out a solid fair value in short order. And the clock is ticking...

Tried getting a professional appraisal and all he saw was an old dune buggy type car (his words, not mine), $1,500.00, thank you, that's $100 please, have a nice day... Hell there's more invested in just the tires & suspension! ..and don't even mention CL, I sell guitars there from time to time, I can't even imagine the whack-jobs at the front door...

So what other avenues are there to gauge reasonable & solid fair market value?

jason Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:23 pm

Sell it for what you think it's worth. You will know right away if you have it listed too cheap, or even high.

Globespotter Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:47 am

It's not your 61 you area talking about is it?