TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Custom chassis build pictures
Rick67 Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:26 pm

Hi, I am Rick. I have followed forums and the classifieds on the samba for some time but have never registered and posted. I have a fiberglass dune buggy on a 67 pan. I just picked up a new buggy body and pan and would like to make a stronger custom chassis and pan. I would like some pictures of any one who has built one and different ideas, tips, tricks of any sort. I have a buddy who built a 2x3 frame and would like to follow this for strength purposes. I plan on using just the transmission horn and torsion tube and the front beam. I will start a build thread when I begin tear down and start this project. Thank you much for your time and thoughts.

-Rick
[/img]

TDCTDI Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:48 pm

Check with your local laws, word has been registering sandrails is nearly impossible, I don't know if buggies fall into that category.

Rick67 Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:08 am

Here in Texas they we are not able to register them any more. In Arizona they can still be registered. I am not understanding the difference between a buggy or sand rail and a Polaris RZR or anything of that sort. Well even if so this buggy will be used mainly on a deer lease and won't see on road driving.

superpro56 Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:27 am

Michigan also has suspended registration of side by sides, however sand rail and tub registrations have been unaffected. This is due to the wording within the law of assembled vehicles. Side by sides have been using bolt-on parts to become street legal. By law, one must alter or modify a vehicle so that it no longer reflects that of the original manufacturer. That is why side by sides cannot be registered and sand rails can, the razr still looks like a razr, a rail looks nothing like a beetle.