TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: So42 in barn
bigdish2 Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:45 pm

So I've had this bus tucked away maybe 3 years but I've always wondered why the lower half was blue figured it was sprayed down the road but I open up the original owners papers and it has sea blue and white written down back in February 67 on the paperwork. Mcode says all white so just curious which is correct or original color besides white. See pics below any insight would be apreciated. Thx

srfndoc Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:08 am

bigdish2 wrote: So I've had this bus tucked away maybe 3 years but I've always wondered why the lower half was blue figured it was sprayed down the road but I open up the original owners papers and it has sea blue and white written down back in February 67 on the paperwork. Mcode says all white so just curious which is correct or original color besides white. See pics below any insight would be apreciated. Thx

523907 is definitely a Westy Pearl White paint code so my guess is the owner asked the dealer to spray it blue when they bought it (or shortly thereafter).

Juan Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:57 pm

Interesting. Would love to see some additional pics of your bus. Wondering if they sprayed just the outside or the inside of the cab as well.

I have a velvet green kombi that I've been wanting to spray white on top to make it two-tone outside.

bigdish2 Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:08 am

These are the only ones I have of it.

robin.richard Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:40 am

bigdish2,

Funny, but I had the identical tan covered driver's and passenger seat in my 67 Westy. I'm sure they were aftermarket as there was the remnants of the original covers hidden underneath the tan covers, but then again...

BTW, cool and interesting Westy

-Rich

bigdish2 Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:46 am

Rich,

the seats look pretty original to me or they where recovered in the 70s but the orig westy interior perfect in it so hard to say.

Thanks
Bryce

robin.richard Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:06 am

Bigdish2,

Here is the best photo I have of the seat covers that were on the Westy when I bought it several years ago.

I no longer have the covers. I hope they were not some form of special order item from the VW dealer or Westy.

Erik G Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:18 am

My mouse grey westy had those ugly brown seat covers too, I think they were original to the bus as well. Everything else was

Interesting about the blue...

turkis-deluxe Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:31 pm

Seat covers are definitely not original.......probably installed around the same time in the 70's as those seatbelts.

robin.richard Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:46 pm

Yeah. The seat belts were dated 1973. We used them for my wife's '73 Transporter.

-Rich

vwuberalles Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:54 pm

Seat covers look like similar material to what came in my 73 Superbeetle