TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: VW Auto Club of U.S. badge
70Crew Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:54 am

I posted this yesterday in the Baywindow "rarest of the Rare" thread because I have a bay crew cab. However, in hindsight, I realized that it is not a bay-specific accessory and probably belongs here instead.

So I have this German-made VW Club of America badge I bought off Craigslist that has the charter member “ribbon” attached to it. The badge was pretty badly tarnished so I decided to polish it with some brass cleaner.

I pulled the Charter Member ribbon off so I could clean all the way around the edges. Lo and behold, the mounting bracket was actually a one piece second badge hidden under the first. This one has no markings on the back and has slightly different wording. It is also thinner. I have seen the German badges on EBay but have never seen the other style…. has anyone?

stale air Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:30 am

Sorry, I cant give you any info on it, but its a very nice piece. Nice score! 8)

70Crew Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:38 pm

From the VW Club of America:

The Volkswagen Club of America was originally founded in 1955 as the "Volkswagen Auto Club of the US" and was renamed after it was realized that "Volkswagen" and "Auto" were redundant.