TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Sink Pump Page: 1, 2  Next
Hank Montura Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:38 pm

Hello All,
MY sink decided to stop working on my '84 Westy. What should my trouble shooting flow chart look like? Fuse? 30+ year old pump finally give up the ghost? My quick solution was 1 buck and change piece of tubing to siphon water out of the tank.
Any tips or help will be once again appreciated.

UngaWunga Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:56 pm

Is power getting to the pump?

Michael4104 Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:48 pm

If the pump is in your tank, pull it out though the lid. No need to disconnect anything. Have someone turn on the water, see if the impeller is spinning, if not move it. They stick sometimes from lack of use?

Hank Montura Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:24 am

To Unga, I'm not sure. When I turn the faucet "dial" the pump doesn't turn on like it used to. Not sure if it is the power or the pump.
To Michael in Livermore (I used to hang out there and in Pleasanton) Thanks. I looked around under the sink and the cabinets and didn't see the pump so I believe it is in the water tank. What is the easiest way to access the tank? Is it under the floor of the cabinet, under the table? Lack of use..The water tank has been dry for years.
Thanks again

dr. no Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:52 am

Assuming a standard Westy...
The tank is under the rearmost cubby, just in front of the closet and under the table in its stored position.
There is a metal plate with two screws on the bottom of the cubby, the tank is under that. There is a large lid that should twist off, and the water is inside, with the pump sitting on the bottom.

All that aside, it sounds like you have the common faucet switch failure, which is being discussed in another thread here today...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=663008[/url]

Hank Montura Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:57 am

Is there a quick way to rule out the need for a new pump or the new faucet?
I did manage locate the tank and after work I'll be checking out the pump.

mightyart Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:13 am

My pump is under the sink, some are in the tank.

All you need is a test light to check it, or a multi-meter.
Westy's are so simple a basic 12-volt tester is usually all you need.

Hank Montura Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:53 am

Thank Mightyart. I'll keep you posted of my results.

Hank Montura Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:09 pm

Does anybody know of any videos or instructions on how to replace the pump? I contacted a seller and they said the pump does not come with instructions and suggested I ask here.

dr. no Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:39 pm

Mightyart, is that stock? I haven't seen that before. It looks easier to service, though.

Hank, it's one hose (in the tank, or two like Mightart's) and two wires. Remove and reconnect. If it sucks the wrong way, reverse the wires. It's pretty straightforward.

If your faucet knob just spins, it's probably the fault. There's one screw in the middle of the knob. Take it off. Underneath, there should be a wire screwed into a copper contact on the knob (see the thread I refer to above, it has pictures), touch this to the other wire/screw that's not on the knob and it should pump or at least make a whirring noise (at the pump). Don't worry, it can't really shock you.
The other thing to check is the fuse to the whole kitchen unit, on the pillar behind the driver's seat.

Hank Montura Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:10 pm

Thanks Scott,
My faucet knob stops and doesn't spin so I am betting my 30 year old pump gave up the ghost. Plus the tank has been dry for years. I will check the fuses as well. If it was the fuses, wouldn't something else not be working? The Fridge works with shore power and the 12 V, the battery/water level lights work and the outlets all work with shore power.

dr. no Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:13 pm

Sounds reasonable.
You could fill the tank so it sits in water a while, then whack the pump a couple of times--it might free things up.

atomatom Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:28 pm

i put in one of these: "Seaflo 12V DC 1.2 GPM 35 PSI 21-Series Diaphragm Water Pressure Pump for Caravan/RV/Boat/Marine". you can find them on amazon for about $25. it is a bit noisy, but that is probably in part due to my poor mounting location.

mightyart Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:02 pm

dr. no wrote: Mightyart, is that stock?

I don't think so, that's the one that came with my bus, but it's old, I changed it out a few years ago for a gowesty one I think. It's been awhile so I'm not sure. That pump still worked, but the plastic was old and brittle and the top connection broke off and pumped water all over the bottom of the cabinet.

Hank Montura Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:12 pm

dr. no wrote: Sounds reasonable.
You could fill the tank so it sits in water a while, then whack the pump a couple of times--it might free things up.
The pump has been submerged since Saturday so it will get a whack tonight. I am hoping this method will be the charm. If not, I'll spend the 30 bucks for a new one.

Synthead Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:05 pm

I think the brushes in the motor get burned up and causes it to only "start" in certain positions. My old pump would work for a while then quit. When I pulled it out of the tank with power to it, i could poke the pump "fan" with my finger and it'd fire right up. Then, after a little bit of use, it'd stop again.

You can tell if it's your pump and not your pump electrics by turning it on and putting a volt meter on the pump leads. If it reads something around 12V, your pump is defective. If it doesn't read anything close to 12V, something's wrong with your switch or electrics.

I got the GoWesty pump and it's awesome. It has about twice the water pressure as the old pump, which I felt was badly needed. Also, I went digging for other retailers that sells the same pump and found GoWesty's price to be the most reasonable with shipping included.

VWinVT Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:52 pm

In early vans the pump,is,located under the sink...once floor of the cabinet. Be sure to check the water tank level indicator wiring on the side of the water tank. The water pumps power flows through these connections. If one of them is corroded, loose or otherwise compromised, the pump,will not get power.

Hank Montura Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:28 am

I found the pump in the tank. The fuses to the kitchen are fine. It is looking like it is the pump and I will have to replace it. I'm hoping the new one comes with the O ring for the tank. The pump from The Bus Depot doesn't come with installation instructions ( I called and asked) and GoWesty is sold out. Next questions:
1. Where do the wires from the pump plug into? I checked under the sink and saw several places.
2. I s there an easy way to thread the pump wires to the sink area without removing the fridge and cabinets?

dr. no Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:34 pm

There's no reason not to use the existing wires, just do the splice in a dry place :wink: instead of in the tank...

Michael4104 Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:54 am

Next to the water tank cabinet is another. In that cabinet pull the shelf with the hole in out. You will see your wire there. The pump comes with wire on it.