TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: New to the hobby!
UBdentist Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:31 am

Hey there!
My names David from Tallahassee, FL.

I'm new to beetles but really excited by them. I've always loved their look and variety.
I don't currently own one, but am looking to invest in a late model super beetle for a personal project. Preferably an already converted Baja.

I've never had a mentor and even less technical knowledge, so this entire hobby is a learning experience for me!
Cars have always been a love of mine, but I've never really had the funds/know how to really jump in. I'd like to change that.

I'm not really finding anything locally by normal means (Craigslist, classifieds, etc) so I was wondering if there were any other resources I should use to look locally.

67rustavenger Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:49 am

Welcome. Supers don't make good Baja's. The front struts are the limiting factor. Good years for Baja's are 69-72. But if it were me I'd stay in the 69-71 range. Just me personal preference.
Look in the classifieds here and I'm sure you will find something that peaks your interests. There are lots of projects that have been given up on. And there are finished cars that the seller is going to take a bath on if he has spent a whole lot of money on it. If you have a decent budget buy the best car you can. Projects will drain your wallet fast.
Good Luck.

mark tucker Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:20 pm

look up greezzy joe, he's just below you in crawfordvill. ( slopchoppy area) :shock: he's pretty good and would be your best bet. or come buy mine.....it's not for sail but...money talks....if it's loud enough.

hitest Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:59 pm

Visit your local shops and stores that cater to VWs- many have cork boards and scrawled-out ads on the backs of index cards.

gt1953 Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:43 am

Do go look and drive several ones. You should just to see and feel the differences. Then settle in on the vehicle of choice.

OB Bus Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:58 am

Go slowly grasshopper. Read the top section of the Bug and Off Road Sections here where they talk about buying tips.

Perhaps read John Muir's "Keep your Volkswagen Alive....." cover-to-cover before you buy.

Mostly, enjoy!

babysnakes Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:10 am

^^^^^

Yep, it's easy to get over enthusiastic. Take your time. Beware of shiney perfect looking cars with new paint. They often hide BAD issues. Look for an original car that's in good shape. Do you know anyone out west? Many dry cars out there, Florida humidity and rain can take a toll on cars.