TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Hope I can get this Bus Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
VWAdam Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:54 pm

These are pics I took in January 2001, I checked up on the Bus again today and nothing has changed. It used to be a church bus in Mississippi if you look at the logos on it you can see this. The owner wasn't home but the last time I talked to him he sounded like if he had a place to put the junk that's inside of it he might get rid of it. I happen to have a 1979 beat up parts Bus I was going to rip out the engine/tranny and sent the junkyard but hmmm? What'd ya think?

NorCalWeekender Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:03 pm

Oh, you took those pics? Cool. It's rusty, but those logos are way sweet!!

-Taylor

Bryan S. Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:25 pm

That thing would be sweet if it was hammered. :twisted: :twisted:

VWAdam Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:52 pm

It has quite a bit of surface rust but as far as holes, it really doesn't have that many. The rockers are very solid, esp for a southern Bus. I couldn't check the cab floor, it's grown up around it since I took these and I wasn't dressed to go trudging thru it today.
I'm going to stop back by tomorrow or Sunday and see what he says. I think it's definately worth saving. I want a splittie so bad I can taste it!

KamperKitJay Fri Mar 19, 2004 8:22 pm

Praise the lord! [-o<

j.pickens Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:37 pm

Praise the Lowered!
Slam it!

humfrydog Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:42 pm

put a big motor in it, some radars,slam it and roll it just like that!!!!!
RAT RIDES RULE!!!

QWKDTSN Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:33 pm

I agree with the above post! DO IT! :twisted:

VWAdam Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:12 pm

humfrydog wrote: put a big motor in it, some radars,slam it and roll it just like that!!!!!
RAT RIDES RULE!!!
I agree with that plan. I'm going to stop by and see if the owner is home tomorrow if I have time. If not then, Sunday. He's known my Dad and and grandmother for years so maybe that will help. I'll keep you all posted. If I get this my baywindow will probably be up for sale. I never thought I'd say that but I'VE GOT SPLITTIE FEVER!!!!

BTW, could anyone photoshop this thing slammed on some Raders? That would look sweet. 8)

Weatherly Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:00 am

Church 'O' Christ! tsall gothic and shit, praise da lord yo! :shock:

DubStyle Sat Mar 20, 2004 4:02 am

Man them LOGOs scare the crap out of me! Doesn't worry you that the paint or rust is color is every where but where it says "Church of Christ?"

obus Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:01 am

i couldn't roll in that logo'd bus. i am a bad catholic so it would probably break down on me every second!

NorCalWeekender Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:45 am

The photoshop request has been made and I just happened to have it open! Here it is...no radars on it because to get them in there and have it look believable is a little beyond my skillz right now. ;) Enjoy this in the meantime.

-Taylor

BavarianWrench Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:40 pm

I don't know if you should try and buy the bus on sunday, it is the lords day of rest. What a shaggin waggen Church Of Christ would make. If it was for the Church and used to get people arround I bet it had a middle seat. Oh the spiritual possibilities of this thing.

VWAdam Sun Mar 21, 2004 5:46 pm

Well I went and talked to the owner today. I took my whole family (including my grandmother who has known the guy since way back when, which I think helped)
He asked why I wanted that old rusty thing and wanted to know what I was going to do with it. Everybody else just wanted the tranny he said.
I didn't give me a yes or no, but after talking to my grandmother and seeing the gleam in my eyes when I saw the Bus he took my number and told me he'd "think real hard about it and let me know."
Let's hope for the best! Everybody wish me luck. :D

DMNCLNR Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:28 am

Are VWjosh and VWadam brothers in neighboring states?

Hella Bro Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:25 am

VWadam. I have a hard time okaying that bus for a kid. I do not know if your mechanically inclined or do bodywork or what? Dont get me wrong,
Your enthusiasm is truly a plus! If that bus does not have a sound structure
I would not advise picking this up for a daily driver. I do not know what your intentions are resto/rat/runner? But a bus to Restore for a kid might as well pass, this bus needs to be totally gone, thru judging by the pictures. Besides cost you have to think Safety! This is my opinion VWadam. If you are serious about picking this bus up, bring someone who really knows buses to look at it, that way you can get an accurate appraisal of what you will be getting into.

vwjosh6070 Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:13 am

Quote: Are VWjosh and VWadam brothers in neighboring states?

well we are in neighboring states!! and we talk to each other very often.

Quote: Your enthusiasm is truly a plus! If that bus does not have a sound structure
I would not advise picking this up for a daily driver. I do not know what your intentions are resto/rat/runner? But a bus to Restore for a kid might as well pass, this bus needs to be totally gone, thru judging by the pictures. Besides cost you have to think Safety! This is my opinion VWadam. If you are serious about picking this bus up, bring someone who really knows buses to look at it, that way you can get an accurate appraisal of what you will be getting into.

from those pictures, and adams discription, my bus is in way worse condition than that one, but i am almost on the road. from the sounds of it, and the way people advise people to steer clear of rusty buses like that, i guess i am taking on a monster project?

adam, i say get it. if you are wanting to turn it into a camper, put the stuff from your westy in it, it should fit. good luck with it!

Stanagon Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:06 am

VWAdam,

If that bus has fairly solid cargo floors, rockers and the frame is solid then it should be saved (born again:). If you can get it and it turns out to be more of a project than you can handle, I'll bet you could sell it via the Samba for more than what you might have to pay for it.

Hope it becomes yours! Split buses are definitely addictive...

VWAdam Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:47 pm

I know VWs better than most people twice my age. I know what I'm getting into. I bought a rustier than hell 58 Ghia 1 1/2 years ago for $150. My family thought I had lost my mind. It had serious holes everywhere. I knew exactly what I was doing. I sold it a year later for $400, and I kept some stuff for myself that I have since traded for almost every body part I need for my 59 Beetle. That Ghia went on to help restore another one and is becoming a drag car now. Had I not bought it, I know it still would have been sitting out in the boonies where it was. Pretty soon it'll be blasting down a dragstrip in Florida and parts from it will be on a way cool Resto-Custom '58 coupe.
The rockers on this Bus are solid. All of that rust is surface. The rear corners are dented, but that's all the body damage it has. I couldn't get in and check the cab floor so I don't know if it's ok or not. When you open the cargo doors, there are 3 small holes in that area, not completely gone like I see many times.
If he calls me back and doesn't want much for it, I'm going to buy it. If it's not safe to drive/unrestorable look for parts from it for sale on here. That'd be better than it sitting where it is not doing anybody any good.
It's a win/win situation in my eyes, if he'll let me have it.