TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Need some help. Adding Exhaust Fans to my Kombi,
BrazilBusGuy Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:45 pm

I'm doing the drive from Brazil to Alaska and will try to chase the cooler seasons as much as possible, however...that won't always go according to plan.

I have insulated my bus as much as possible using thermal paper and dense fiber, however it still gets unbearably hot sometimes, to the point I can't sleep.
My other concern is that I am with my dog and if I ever run into a situation
where I had to leave him in the bus for a short period of time, I want to have a good deal of airflow.

I would like to add a rooftop exhaust fan system. I have found some kits online, with rain sensors in the $150-250 however getting them sent to brazil is wildly expensive because I pay $18/kilo. These kits are near 10 kilos. Weight is my other concern.

I'm thinking of doing a simple DIY using some lighter parts that will be cost effective like computer fans.

I'm pretty keen on using these Corsair silent 12V fans, One, they are silent, two, they are low power draw.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007RESFR2/ref=o...PDKIKX0DER

My hope is to cut the smallest hole possible in the roof without being counterproductive with airflow.

As far as the vent hood. I couldn't find a small low profile kit, just some huge RV hoods. I then thought of maybe using a cheap hood scoop from ebay.
I stumbled across these and at first glance look like a simple, cheap option. The only problem is I don't believe you can close them. I would put some mosquito netting over the vent tube to prevent any bugs form getting in, and put them under my roofrack which has a bottom liner to give them extra protection from the rain.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EDQQCY/ref=o...PDKIKX0DER

Does anyone have any good suggestions on a good DIY setup to do this? I have all the right tools and sealants to do such a job I just want to make sure I have a solid plan in place before I cut holes in my roof.

Thanks

Khopkinsx Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:28 am

I would avoid cutting holes in the roof.

One idea for ventilation would be to essentially make your own ambulance fans. Remove the cover over the vents, fashion a new cover with fans that would bolt on. If the fans do not work to your satisfaction it can easily be undone.

Another idea would be to remove one of the side windows and replace it with a piece of plexi-glass, then you can make as many holes, add fans, whatever. Same idea, easy to restore to stock.

Danpa Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:06 am

Do you have a splitscreen, bay window, or vanagon?

I agree with Khopkinsx, don't cut a hole in the roof. Use his window idea and maybe get a solar panel to power the fans, during the day. Mount the fans in a window opening where you could open a vent or crack another window on the opposite end of the bus, thereby getting fresh air to the whole bus not just one area.

One last thing, do a search for John Lago and his bus, you will be inspired!

Dan

BrazilBusGuy Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:33 am

i Have a 99 Kombi.
Are you referring to the front vents?
That's nota bad idea to add a few fans in there. I'll definately do that.
It's just the top 50 CM of the bus is 12-15 degrees noticeable different in temp. I want to just suck that all out and bring some fresh air in. I have all the windows tinted. 70% rear, 50% front.

Danpa Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:39 pm

As far as the area near the roof getting the hottest, you could make a duct from the highest point of the roof interior, and connect that with the fan. That way you would feed the fans with the warmest air, regardless of where the fans are placed.

Dan