TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: turn key engine builder in or around la? also brake upgrades.
edokmak Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:49 pm

1.) Im thinking about pulling the trigger and buying a turn key 1776 for my notch, and am having trouble finding engine builders through existing platforms. Any recommendations in or around la?

2.) I am reading and reading about possible brake upgrades for my 65 notch. its hard deciding on a path when there is no definitive upgrade that everyone goes for. any advice? stay with stock? discs worth the pain?

Sorry if these have been covered I am sure they have been but i have looked and nothing I'm finding has cleared these up. thanks guys

KTPhil Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:40 pm

L.A. is a large area... can you be more specific?

Jason37 Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:02 pm

Check out The Lab

http://www.socalthelab.com/

edokmak Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:32 pm

KTPhil wrote: L.A. is a large area... can you be more specific?

I left it as vague as possible, I am willing to travel around to wherever is worth it. Thanks guys!

Erik G Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:24 am

Chico Performance Racing has a great reputation here. Better get on his waiting list now though. Couple friends here in TX have turnkey type3 motors from him and are very happy

rockerarm Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:18 am

Hi and WELCOME.
Drive over to EMS (Engine Machine Service), 835 W Olive St, Inglewood. 310-641-7019. The shop has been in this game for about 30 years.

On the brakes, what wheels and tires are you running? If you wish to use the original wide 5, you may be limited to a better lining on the shoes, fr and rr.
If you wish to use the later '66 and later stuff, there are probably different brake pads to use. And with the rear drums, better lining on the shoes.
I would suggest the later dual circuit master cylinder.

Probably not much demand for early type 3 brake improvements, but might want to contact Old Speed in Paramount, as they got the early bus' handled with 944 stuff.

Finally, with any brake improvement, if you are running skinny tires in the front you will be prone to premature brake lock-up. Years ago, I installed better brake linings fr/rr on a '65 type 1. Car stopped nice. Owner lowered it and installed 135 tires and it began to lock the front brakes up. I re-installed a stock organic lining to prevent lock up's.
Hope this helps, Bill.