TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: stuck at arrowhead mall glendale az Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
vwgirl1961a Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:52 am

My 1965 Beetle stalled and we had to roll it into the parking lot at the mall. this is the third time it happened within three weeks. if anyone is in the area this morning that can help it would be appreciated

vwgirl1961a Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:20 am

I'm still stuck on outside of Chompies next to Macy's the fuel filter is totally filled with gas please can somebody come and help it's a Sunday and I can't find anybody

vwgirl1961a wrote: My 1965 Beetle stalled and we had to roll it into the parking lot at the mall. this is the third time it happened within three weeks. if anyone is in the area this morning that can help it would be appreciated

Cali_Army_Guy Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:25 am

I would but I'm 700 miles away.

Post EXACTLY what the car is doing (or not doing) and what it was doing prior to this problem and I'm sure somebody can walk you through it.

We need more info than "it stalled".

vwgirl1961a Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:35 am

Thanks... I will....

Cali_Army_Guy wrote: I would but I'm 700 miles away.

Post EXACTLY what the car is doing (or not doing) and what it was doing prior to this problem and I'm sure somebody can walk you through it.

We need more info than "it stalled".

vwgirl1961a Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:39 am

This is what's going on... while driving she would buck and hesitate... and then she would stall... I would let her sit a little bit she would start and then stall again... the fuel filter is filled with gas. all this problem started when I had my carburetor replaced May of 2015 prior to that I never had any problems with my car. I replaced the carburetor because it was dripping a little bit of gas it was the original solex they replaced it with an aftermarket carburetor . This is all I know

vwgirl1961a wrote: I'm still stuck on outside of Chompies next to Macy's the fuel filter is totally filled with gas please can somebody come and help it's a Sunday and I can't find anybody

vwgirl1961a wrote: My 1965 Beetle stalled and we had to roll it into the parking lot at the mall. this is the third time it happened within three weeks. if anyone is in the area this morning that can help it would be appreciated

67rustavenger Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:02 am

Get a cup of ice water or two and slowly pour it over the fuel pump. I know that you said that this started with the carb change out. But it reads like you are having a vapor lock condition. Then try starting the engine. Once running go straight home and get it figured out. It's hot there and you don't want to be stuck walking home.
There are plenty of sambanista's in the area. Hopefully someone can come to your rescue. I would but I'm even farther away than Cali_Army_Guy.
Good Luck.

vwgirl1961a Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:10 am

Thank you! We will hang out at the mall a little longer let her cool down a bit even though we didn't drive that far we only drove from 27th Avenue to 57th Avenue. When we're ready to leave will get couple cups of water like you said and hope that works I really appreciate this. Hoping like you said a VW person from Samba will come to the rescue

67rustavenger wrote: Get a cup of ice water or two and slowly pour it over the fuel pump. I know that you said that this started with the carb change out. But it reads like you are having a vapor lock condition. Then try starting the engine. Once running go straight home and get it figured out. It's hot there and you don't want to be stuck walking home.
There are plenty of sambanista's in the area. Hopefully someone can come to your rescue. I would but I'm even farther away than Cali_Army_Guy.
Good Luck.

EVfun Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:14 am

I've seen a few ways to get these symptoms.

1. Vapor lock, which was already mentioned along with a temporary fix.

2. A bad cab float needle valve. They can stick closed at times. A wrap with a screwdriver handle on the carb body may be an instant, short term, fix.

3. The spring behind one of the fuel pumps valves is missing. Normally the movement of fuel keeps the check valve working properly. Sometimes the loose valve gets cocked in its cage, stopping the fuel pump until it floats loose. Since the fuel filter is full this is unlikely.

vwgirl1961a Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:36 pm

I was told at another post on Facebook that if the fuel filter is placed straight up and down it can cause problems suggested position it sideways

EVfun wrote: I've seen a few ways to get these symptoms.

1. Vapor lock, which was already mentioned along with a temporary fix.

2. A bad cab float needle valve. They can stick closed at times. A wrap with a screwdriver handle on the carb body may be an instant, short term, fix.

3. The spring behind one of the fuel pumps valves is missing. Normally the movement of fuel keeps the check valve working properly. Sometimes the loose valve gets cocked in its cage, stopping the fuel pump until it floats loose. Since the fuel filter is full this is unlikely.

sjbartnik Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:35 pm

vwgirl1961a wrote: I was told at another post on Facebook that if the fuel filter is placed straight up and down it can cause problems

No.

Java beetle 65 Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:14 pm

Without knowing the full story, it could either be fuel or electrical related.

Dying condenser can cause hard bucking/non starting and can be made worse by heat. Eventually it will be impossible to start and you'll need to replace it. Happened to me a few months ago, in a car park coincidentally! Luckily I had a spare.

Fuel problems tend to be more subtle, sometimes you can get by with pumping the gas a bit more if it hesitates and it will get you home though not always. I was almost stranded once by a blocked idle jet on the solex carb. Removed this and sprayed with carb cleaner and it started right up. Previously it was dying at idle (in a slow, gradual way as opposed to the dead condenser where it would be a sudden stop)

Have you got any spares on you?

By the way I'd get a rebuilt solex as soon as possible as the aftermarket ones are crap. Got mine from Volksbitz and have had no issues.

Cusser Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:30 pm

Jane - I did the response also to your PM.

...so tough to diagnose without being at the VW and running some troubleshooting tests. I read your post, see that it has happened a few times recently; if it ran OK in-between, I'm going to lean towards carburetor issue, like needle valve sticking closed, or that the float contains gas so not floating and cutting off the gas flow, and that the engine is flooding. Pulling out a spark plug and looking at that can help check for flooding; aerosol starting fluid can help check for any fuel starvation issue.

Spark is checked with spark checker or timing light.

I'm over 20 miles away; can you get this towed to your mechanic?

Can you take your jack handle and use as a hammer and tap medium hard on the carburetor several times, see if that helps? The carburetor is the metal thing just below the air cleaner.

gt1953 Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:09 pm

It a Football day and not everyone is reading post. I am 200 miles away with truck and tow bar.
I would lean toward the condenser going bad and now maybe is bad.
Keep us posted as to what the cause of break down is.

williamM Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:48 pm

It takes 5 min to check the fuel/fire of any engine.

1- take coil lead from center of cap and hold near engine and have engine turn over- this tests the key switch all the way back to the coil. If sparks move on.

2-no spark? open the cap and turn on ignition-rotate the engine till points close- then push points open with screwdriver- if sparks- you have bad key switch/wires.

3- put a spoon full of gas down throat of carb- ( get it from the filter of fuel pump/key off/)- if it runs its the carb- if you can get it to run a little-- rev up to2500 rpm and slap your hand over the intake- remove and prepare yourself for possible back fire thru carb- this may vacuum some smaller crud from the jets. Its now flooded- so open carb throttle and spin to "air out" the engine- ps black smoke coming your way.

If -as suggested- you have a bad condenser- you can temporarily use any automotive/points style condenser attached outside on the coil bracket and wired to the points side of the coil for a quick getaway.

Cusser Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:55 pm

williamM wrote: It takes 5 min to check the fuel/fire of any engine.

1- take coil lead from center of cap and hold near engine and have engine turn over- this tests the key switch all the way back to the coil. If sparks move on.

2-no spark? open the cap and turn on ignition-rotate the engine till points close- then push points open with screwdriver- if sparks- you have bad key switch/wires.

3- put a spoon full of gas down throat of carb- ( get it from the filter of fuel pump/key off/)- if it runs its the carb- if you can get it to run a little-- rev up to2500 rpm and slap your hand over the intake- remove and prepare yourself for possible back fire thru carb- this may vacuum some smaller crud from the jets. Its now flooded- so open carb throttle and spin to "air out" the engine- ps black smoke coming your way.

WilliamM - I've helped out Jane at least twice in the past. She really doesn't have the mechanical background for these tests.

williamM Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:01 pm

:lol: I kinda got that but a damsel in distress can always give instruction to sir lancelot. Kind of like the 82 yr old bus lady I sent a dwell and tac meter to put in a box with her- give them something to work with and they might get you going.

Love the thoughtful look you get when asking "OK where is your box of spares?"

vwgirl1961a Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:22 pm

UPDATE
We left my car near 75th Ave and Union Hills on a nice man's property. Will call my mechanic and hope he can go get her with tow truck. I have to work tomorrow and taking my sister's car. She will be making all the calls. This is so frustrating especially since before I had the carburetor replaced she was running great. Now nothing but proble,ms :(

Cusser Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:30 pm

Jane - I sent you a new PM.

iowegian Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:47 pm

Cusser wrote: Jane - I sent you a new PM.
You, Mr. Cusser, are a very kind and patient man. :)

vwgirl1961a Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:48 pm

He is. VERY. I thank him

iowegian wrote: Cusser wrote: Jane - I sent you a new PM.
You, Mr. Cusser, are a very kind and patient man. :)