TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Advice 79 Fuel injection
Riddla Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:47 pm

Hello Ive bought a 79 Vw Bus 2.0 fuel injected first time bus owner. Well it sat for 8 years and in that time rats and mice chewed the engine harness. My question is should i patch up the harness or install duels? I have it all apart cleaning out the nest inside the fan shroud housing and tins. Im alittle lost on the wiring of the engine. How many sensors does the fi use? Thank you for any advice. I am replacing all fuel line aswell.Marcos

Tcash Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:04 pm

Welcome to TheSamba

Might be worth it to have yours rebuilt and start fresh.
http://www.kyleautomotivespecialties.com/

thnx to mayor ratwell
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/FISwap.html

thnx to mayor ratwell
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/FISwap.html

Good luck
Tcash

Tcash Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:06 pm

Tcash Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:07 pm

Welcome to TheSamba, Bay Window Bus Forum!

Tcash wrote: Every Type IV engine owner should know this!!!

If you over tighten the Oil Strainer bolt, you will brake the engine case!

There is a Oil strainer in there.
TORQUE THE STRAINER BOLT TO NO MORE THAN 9 FT. LBS.

Tcash wrote: Here is a little information. Good Luck

Pictures would be cool.
How to post photos/How to post a photo in the Forums

Pronunciation (Samba) English

I am thinking of buying a VW van
Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus
Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you!
M-Plate Location
M-Plate Decoder Volkswagen Type 2 Bus
Bus VIN / Chassis Numbers
Type 2/Bus Owner's Manuals
Bus repair manuals
Bus parts manuals
Early Baywindow Bus Parts Book
Late Baywindow Bus Parts Fiche
Type 2 Wiring Diagrams
Model and Year Variations
Type 4: Secrets Revealed
Distributor Parts & Specifications
PARTS INTERCHANGE MANUAL
Youtube Videos

There is a ton of information located at the top of the Forum section.

old DKP driver Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:14 pm

At least T didn't show you where the rat family has been living :lol: Wait till
you pull the air filter housing apart and remove all the cylinder head tin. :P

Good Luck with your project and, Welcome \:D/

Wasted youth Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:56 pm

1979 does have several one-year-only concerns. If it truly is a complete engine, running or not, I would stay with the Fuel Injection. The caveat is that the engine and all of its hardware and managements parts are intact. ALL of it. ALL of the 1979 exhaust parts, etc. MUST be there.

And... do you have to have a Smog Check?

Is it a California emissions bus, or a Federal?

If your bus is missing a bunch of parts, or you can see a shitload of hack-jobs, the exhaust looks like it belongs on a Baja Bug, then yeah... maybe dual carbs is the way to go.

:arrow: If you want more informed opinions, show us several well-lit, in focus pictures of the engine ~ top to bottom, side to side.

my59 Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:08 am

I'd stay with the FI. Once the system tests out and up and running and the vacuum leaks are taken care of it works well.
The issue with 79 is the shape for the exhaust ports on the heads is rectangular vs the earlier ones, and the heating system has "dump tubes' to direct the hot air away when the heater is turned off.

JP6210 Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:48 am

I had the same dilemma on my early 76- the bus was not running when I got it and I had to do new heads, etc. When I went to put it all back together, the harness insulation was cracking, etc. as I hooked it all up. I actually got a carb setup with the bus but decided to keep the FI. I did a lot of research on The Samba, and seriously considered rebuilding my own harness as some have done here- There are some great tutorials, in the end, I decided to go with Kyle, and he is building a new harness for me right now- The FI system just seems like the right way to go.

JP

Riddla Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:22 pm

The system is complete just the critters ate the the wires. Yall are truly amazing thank you all. I did find a big nest in the engine tins. I will continue to rebuild the harness and clean the motor up.what a great bunch of people here on samba Thanks again. Marcos

aerosurfer Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:32 pm

I rebuilt my harness. See the thread in my signature. It's a very doable project. I have heard nothing but good things about the Kyle harness too.

You never mentioned if you have a federal or Cali emission spec bus. The federal is very straightforward, the Cali has some unique parts. The user Baycreampuff redid his Cali spec 79 harness and is a wealth of pictures and knowledge about that motor and its components.

Have you pulled the motor yet or plan to?

While a rebuild or at least head work would be a good starting point, get the tins off to make sure all the nesting is out of the fins, and new gaskets from the longblock up as the fuel injection is very fickle with vacuum leaks

Tcash Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:55 pm

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?...t_dir=DESC

Rebuild Your FI wiring harness for less than $50
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570114

GD
Tcash

Wasted youth Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:00 pm

my59 wrote: I'd stay with the FI. Once the system tests out and up and running and the vacuum leaks are taken care of it works well.
The issue with 79 is the shape for the exhaust ports on the heads is rectangular vs the earlier ones, and the heating system has "dump tubes' to direct the hot air away when the heater is turned off.

The ECU is also different for 1979 and the ballast resistor pack was eliminated, added ballast or resistance to the injectors via the ECU, I think.

aerosurfer Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:15 pm

Wasted youth wrote: my59 wrote: I'd stay with the FI. Once the system tests out and up and running and the vacuum leaks are taken care of it works well.

The ECU is also different for 1979 and the ballast resistor pack was eliminated, added ballast or resistance to the injectors via the ECU, I think.

Only on the Cali emission system. The 49 state federal was essentially unchanged for 79.

http://ratwell.com/technical/FISwap.html

Wasted youth Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:17 pm

aerosurfer wrote: Wasted youth wrote: my59 wrote: I'd stay with the FI. Once the system tests out and up and running and the vacuum leaks are taken care of it works well.

Only on the Cali emission system. The 49 state federal was essentially unchanged for 79.

http://ratwell.com/technical/FISwap.html

Ah! Of course. So nice to be a very special Californian. :roll: :lol: Thanks for the info! Did not know it was specific to us.

Riddla Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:02 pm

It is a federal FI. I have already pulled the engine. Im looking foward to getting this engine running only thing fuel injection is new to me. This site has a wealth of info i have seen ratwells site too. There is no other crowd like a VW crowd its amazing to be part of the Vw Fam. Marcos

my59 Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:39 pm

With the engine out pull the gas tank and clean it and replace all the soft lines. Rubber ones to the gas filler as well. Also, take apart all of the heating system that can be
( some bits are welded in) and scrub it out. You can retrieve the seat stuffing or was that already scavenged to build the nest in the tins?