TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 64 Split Truck - newbie wanting to know value/cost to restore
lseinen Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:14 pm

Hi VW community.
I'm just starting to decide if i want to take on a project... take this baby off the property and start working on it, or pricing it.

Growing up on a ranch in canada, this truck was always fun to see and show friends. I remember about 15 years ago when it was running/putting around the farm. From what my dad told me he thinks it wouldn't take much to get it going, etc.

I've seen some prices for something like this, but i'd love to hear/get more info about this old bird. Its a 64 w, 71k miles on it. Everything is original i believe.

anybody have anymore info/pricing they could give.
Thanks

enjoyther1de Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:40 pm

I would drive it just like that. Very nice.

vwracerdave Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:27 pm

Running and driving with good brakes that stop, and the body & interior left untouched, I'd bet you could get ten grand. You could spend 20K restoring it and probably get your money back.

I'd drive it as is, rust and all.

KTPhil Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:35 pm

Make it your project, and have a ball. I don't see any horrible rust or missing parts. I'd arrest any rust or other deterioration, fix the seats, and work the mechanicals.

Interesting "farm vehicle" marking on the side... may not be registered for street use without some extra work and inspections.

67ctbug Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:43 pm

Get it going and leave it the way it looks. I don't know much about split trucks, but I know they're expensive.

KTPhil Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:08 pm

First replace all fuel lines and brake lines and flush it all out. New tranny oil. Of course engine service. Don't be tempted to drive it as-is without the safety list being taken care of first. Looks like some sort of auxiliary heater control at the center rear of the front footwell. Check that wiring and lines... those heaters can be trouble when not maintained.

But I agree on keeping it rough... as long as you stop the deterioration.

busdaddy Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:20 pm

KTPhil wrote: Interesting "farm vehicle" marking on the side... may not be registered for street use without some extra work and inspections.
It's a Canada thing, vehicles registered for farm use can burn purple gas (tax free) and also get a reduced insurance rate, it doesn't effect anything when transferred to a non farmer.

X4 or 5 on rolling it as is cosmetically and just doing a mechanical resto.

hitest Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:55 pm

X5 or 6 ^^^

If you are yet unsure if you will enjoy a nice running driving splittie with all the responsibilities that accompany it- get it running and just drive it first. Then, I'd detail the hell out of it- but I would not write the checks to restore it. I don't agree- you will not guarantee a return on a 20k restoration. 20k is too subjective a figure.

vwinnovator Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:26 am

I don't think $20K will be enough unless doing ALL the work yourself.

$35K-45K is more like it. At least 400-500 man hrs.+

I'm thinking you'll be putting close to $4-5K into just getting it road worthy to roll it "as is" cosmetically.

engine run? why was it parked?

On the plus side though, I'm sure you would get $3-5K from someone as it sits if you have a clear title for it.

pyrOman Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:35 am

Quote: I'm just starting to decide if i want to take on a project... take this baby off the property and start working on it, or pricing it.

Here's my "experience"... when I got my previous bus I wanted to "restore" it. Decided to start a list of it as it went. Well, 6 months later, $1500 and not much to show for, I threw the list away! Wasn't worth the depression. :lol:

I did keep it for 14 years until it literally fell apart. Put in it about 7 motors and 4 transaxles. God only knows how much $$$ I actually ended up spending and eventually it got all cut up. But one thing it did for sure was provide great times and sometimes not so great. I don't regret any of it! :P

However, if you are even considering passing it on to someone else to just make some money, IMHO you are doing it wrong. :?

Good luck either way. :|

babysnakes Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:23 am

If you want to know the value as it sits scour the classifieds to get an idea. There is a huge difference between restoring and refurbishing. If you want it restored you better have some deep pockets and a plan on keeping it for a long time, as you wont see a return of your money. As someone stated above, you could drop 25k-30k for a well done job. I have a '69 SC that I started on years ago, still a work in progress. You may make a plan on what to do, but once you start really digging in you may find more than you expected and that's when things start to snowball. Your truck does not look nearly as bad as mine did.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...highlight=

Good luck