TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Baja Bug Build(Just getting started)
Frankenbug1996 Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:05 am

This is my first time so get ready! FYI I like to keep my post organized and clean cut.. :oops:

Introduction
Over the course of the past year I have been really digging in to VW air-cooled engines and cars. My interest in the engines led me to acquiring an old 1200cc single port from my grandfather. I broke it down piece by piece learning the workings of it through old "Hot VW" magazines and catalogs. I have been blessed enough to have four VWs all '65 to mid-'70s laying around my Pawpaws house (he fights the same obsession we all do), along with a plethora of engines and parts. Of course the vast majority of these cars and parts are out of commission but it gives a good learning tool. I have gotten my brother involved in this obessesed state we call a hobby and he has taken great interest in it as well.

Our Goal
The goal is a simple one, make an offroad VW. We weighed the option of rebuilding one from scratch but have opted to buy a project already in the works (this decision is made easy when you can get a pretty good deal). The car we are starting with is in pretty good shape. It will be a much easier starting point than the original idea of flipping what was basically scrap metal.

The Car
We will start out with what I believe is a '68 Volkswagen Bug. The guy claims it will start but not getting my hopes up. It has near new tires, engine seems to have every component in place, and the body is in stellar condition with absolutely minimal rusting. The car actaully features a 1600cc dual port engine that is supposedly loaded with a big bore kit that hops it up to around 80hp, but thay will all be clarified later! The previous owner replaced the stock suspension to allow for long travel coil over shocks and has replaced the drums with disk brakes all around. He has all the glass for the windows, an aftermarket front bumper, a cage for around the engine in the back, and the majority of the pieces to the roll cage. Just needs to be put together. Only issue is that it's in Tennessee and I'm in Texas. We already have the days planned to go pick it up though. I'll post pictures of the car as it sits shorty! :D :D

Frankenbug1996 Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:17 am

Here are some pictures to salivate on until I can get some more! :lol:

TDCTDI Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:42 am

Long distance relationships are even harder when it's a car, good luck & go get her. It looks like you'll be in for some work, right off it looks like you'll need to address some rear torsion adjustments & do some cage work to have a place to tie in some upper shock mounts, & closing the fresh air holes in the fan shroud, along with everything else.

DSTMULE Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:48 am

Looks like a lot of potential, keep us posted on the progress.

Frankenbug1996 Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:21 am

We should be making the trip next week so I'll keep you updated on when the real work begins! Any advice and input is welcome and appreciated!

It's a play thing Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:31 pm

Christmas wish list: a wider front beam, so the front track matches or alittle wider than the rear, great start.

Frankenbug1996 Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:46 pm

Alright guys so we got the bug home and have pulled the shell off. It is looking pretty good with some easily fixable issues being in the pan and the electrical. But it turns out there some good and some bad. Good it does have a 6 inch wider front beam and there are some extras on the car that look pretty good. Bad part is the torsion tube in the back is broken and it looks like it could be foxed easily by welding the tube back. Need your opinion on that. Also where the cv joint goes on the trailing arm... the right seems to be out about an inch further than it is on the left. Give me some help!

This shows where the torsion tube was broken and cut out to be rewelded.

Right wheel where the arm is right next to hub.

Left side where arm has a spacer or something keeping it off hub.

cbeck Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:07 pm

You need to take apart that right side axle and see what is going on there. That right side arm sure looks used.

Frankenbug1996 Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:03 pm

We decided to hook up the engine today and check it out.. turns out it runs smooth and couldn't look any better. Had some glitches hooking up the starter circuit for a while but we finally figured it out.

Sorry about the picture quality. I swear the arm is in great shape I just took a crappy picture! We are planning on leveling across and making the torsion tube even on both sides then welding the trosion tube on the right. Unless there's a better idea out there I think it should be all ok then on to the fun stuff! :D

Bashr52 Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:56 am

The stub axle on the right side is sticking out to far which is why the disc is almost touching the arm. You need to pull that apart and see what's going on.