TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Reaction Video - I Just Bought a VW Bus!! Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Austin Leonard Automotive Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:42 pm

Hello everyone! I just joined the forums and also just bought a 1979 VW Transporter that I'll be converting into a little camper. Heres a reaction video of showing up to my house unannounced with a VW Bus. Enjoy! Be sure to check out my YouTube Channel for more :-)

babysnakes Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:09 pm

About 16:00 into it "That's a disgusting vehicle". Damn straight! Next thing ya know you're gonna put a Suby in it. :roll: Good luck, post in the Baywindow forum. Not a lot of us old guys are going to "subscribe" to a YouBoob thread. I'd never be caught owning three of them.

67ctbug Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:33 pm

Welcome to TheSamba :D !! I think you'll fit in great with that bus project. Ask all the questions you have and read some similar build threads. I like the look of that one. I would definitely start a thread in the bay window forum and post your plans. As in what you want to do for your camper conversion (proper Westfalia style, custom, pop top or no, etc.) like I said get a thread going and run it as it sits.

skills@eurocarsplus Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:11 pm

glad your folks are so supportive. million dollar house in a new development...sure your old man is pleased. must have been fun growing up with him....

welcome. head over to the bay forum. it's the dive bar of the samba. you'll need pretty thick skin, but we are a jolly bunch of assholes over there :D

Zylinderkopf Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:41 pm

Thanks for sharing the video. My son bought a '70 camper when he was 17.

I own several old VWs, but I still tried to talk him out of it only because I know how unreliable and unsafe these busses are by today's standards. All parents want their kids to be safe, so I fully understand your parents lack of enthusiasm about your bus. I still give you a lot of credit for going after your dream.

You will need a place to park it and space for tools, parts and for wrenching on your bus. TheSamba will be a great resource for you. Good luck!

Sharp64 Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:59 am

So my take on it is that you're a rich kid who bought a bus with your parents money to piss them off for material for your YouTube channel? So do you actually like VW's or is it just a joke for you? Most of us here are actually enthusiasts, not driving them to piss people off.

gintaras Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:59 am

Sharp64 wrote: So my take on it is that you're a rich kid who bought a bus with your parents money to piss them off for material for your YouTube channel? So do you actually like VW's or is it just a joke for you? Most of us here are actually enthusiasts, not driving them to piss people off.
Let's give the kid the benefit of the doubt for now.. He knew the difference between a camper and a transporter, explained it, and that it had a Z-bed in place of the Transporter seats

Peabody Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:03 am

As you can see from the above posts, even here there's no shortage of D-Bags. Pop shots at the guy and his dad? Dick move. Even for you Skills.

Thanks for sharing Day 1 of your VW story. I was impressed with your knowledge of the bus and will be happy to help with any questions you may have. There are a few things you need to do before driving it around:

Fuel lines need to be replaced!!! You're bus may be at risk of catching fire.

Noise in the tranny needs to be addressed.

Buy a bentley service manual, ASAP

Austin Leonard Automotive Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:05 am

Sharp64 wrote: So my take on it is that you're a rich kid who bought a bus with your parents money to piss them off for material for your YouTube channel? So do you actually like VW's or is it just a joke for you? Most of us here are actually enthusiasts, not driving them to piss people off.

I bought this Bus solely with my money, just like everything else I buy. And I bought it because I love old VWs and plan to restore it and bring it back to life, so why dont we lighten up and have a good time haha :D

Austin Leonard Automotive Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:09 am

Peabody wrote: As you can see from the above posts, even here there's no shortage of D-Bags. Pop shots at the guy and his dad? Dick move. Even for you Skills.

Thanks for sharing Day 1 of your VW story. I was impressed with your knowledge of the bus and will be happy to help with any questions you may have. There are a few things you need to do before driving it around:

Fuel lines need to be replaced!!! You're bus may be at risk of catching fire.

Noise in the tranny needs to be addressed.

Buy a bentley service manual, ASAP

Thanks Peabody! I'll be sure to do precautionary things like replacing fuel lines and such. Not everyone can be in a good mood all the time so I'll just brush it off haha no worries.

skills@eurocarsplus Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:15 am

Peabody wrote: As you can see from the above posts, even here there's no shortage of D-Bags. Pop shots at the guy and his dad? Dick move. Even for you Skills.

glad you think so, because having your approval is paramount in how my day will go :roll:

my family was supportive. his seems to be not so much....how many young kids get into this and they have no place to work on it, and end up getting rid of it because their folks hate it? if that is how it's going to start, it will strain his relationship with his folks....

I DO wish him the best. I bought my first bus when I was 11...and my family though it was a "phase"....30 years later, I still have a bus.

to the o/p....one thing you may love or hate about me is I call it like I see it. you can take it or leave it, but know this...I won't sugar coat anything, period. the only thing I really get passionate about is doing the job RIGHT...be it stock or custom...just do it right.

I hope your folks come around and support you. your old mans comments made me feel bad for you, as if you were some kind of disappointment in his eyes...who the fuck wants to live like that?

Chochobeef Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:24 am

skills@eurocarsplus wrote: I hope your folks come around and support you. your old mans comments made me feel bad for you, as if you were some kind of disappointment in his eyes...who the fuck wants to live like that?

Could have been an act since they saw him filming and figured something was up.

Just hope the bus gets to live a good life and not get molested with shoddy repair work. I'd much rather watch dyi tutorials with useful information.

Tcash Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:26 am

Welcome to TheSamba!

Tcash Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:28 am

Welcome to TheSamba, Bay Window Bus Forum!

Tcash wrote: Every Type IV engine owner should know this!!!

If you over tighten the Oil Strainer bolt, you will brake the engine case!

There is a Oil strainer in there.
TORQUE THE STRAINER BOLT TO NO MORE THAN 9 FT. LBS.

Tcash wrote: Here is a little information. Good Luck

Pictures would be cool.
How to post photos/How to post a photo in the Forums

Pronunciation (Samba) English

I am thinking of buying a VW van
Cleaning+Rodents+Hantavirus
Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you!
M-Plate Location
M-Plate Decoder Volkswagen Type 2 Bus
Bus VIN / Chassis Numbers
Type 2/Bus Owner's Manuals
Bus repair manuals
Bus parts manuals
Early Baywindow Bus Parts Book
Late Baywindow Bus Parts Fiche
Type 2 Wiring Diagrams
Model and Year Variations
Type 4: Secrets Revealed
Distributor Parts & Specifications
PARTS INTERCHANGE MANUAL
Youtube Videos

There is a ton of information located at the top of the Forum section.

Tcash Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:28 am

Snap a pic of the M-Plate under the dash.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7551789#7551789

Austin Leonard Automotive Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:30 am

skills@eurocarsplus wrote: my family was supportive. his seems to be not so much....how many young kids get into this and they have no place to work on it, and end up getting rid of it because their folks hate it? if that is how it's going to start, it will strain his relationship with his folks....

I DO wish him the best. I bought my first bus when I was 11...and my family though it was a "phase"....30 years later, I still have a bus.

to the o/p....one thing you may love or hate about me is I call it like I see it. you can take it or leave it, but know this...I won't sugar coat anything, period. the only thing I really get passionate about is doing the job RIGHT...be it stock or custom...just do it right.

I hope your folks come around and support you. your old mans comments made me feel bad for you, as if you were some kind of disappointment in his eyes...who the fuck wants to live like that?

I see where youre coming from Skills, he may seem disappointed but hes coming around. He likes classic vehicles too, he just cant see a cars potential as well as I can :wink: And I completely agree on doing the job RIGHT, whether it's custom or stock.

Sharp64 Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:39 am

Austin Leonard Automotive wrote: Sharp64 wrote: So my take on it is that you're a rich kid who bought a bus with your parents money to piss them off for material for your YouTube channel? So do you actually like VW's or is it just a joke for you? Most of us here are actually enthusiasts, not driving them to piss people off.

I bought this Bus solely with my money, just like everything else I buy. And I bought it because I love old VWs and plan to restore it and bring it back to life, so why dont we lighten up and have a good time haha :D

Ok. Honestly I didn't watch the whole video as I got the gist of it pretty quickly and heard the comment from your mom regarding freezing your account or what. Seemed like an odd comment if you have your own money. Kudos to you if you actually have a job and income while in college. I wish my own kid was as ambitious. Good luck in your resto.

Globespotter Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:56 am

skills@eurocarsplus wrote: head over to the bay forum. it's the dive bar of the samba. you'll need pretty thick skin, but we are a jolly bunch of assholes over there :D

Well, you are at least half right with that last part of self-assessment :)

kooper271 Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:07 am

They aren't joking about the thick skin thing here...

If you bought the bus with your own money, good for you. I bought my bus at 20 and my parents called me an idiot and a "damn hippy." But I bought a house at 19 so my situation may be a little different. They've never actually seen the bus either.

I'm getting off topic here. People here are probably going to give you shit, but they're actually helpful. Just laugh and take the advice.

ateneo Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:30 am

I remember the first time I brought my 1971 Westy home. When my wife saw it with its rusted glory, she said, "I don't know if the children has enough immunization shots to ride in that thing".