TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Looking at a '64 Notch Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Here2halcyon Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:54 am

I'm new to the type III. Saw this while cruising the inter webs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262647542523?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Never seen the motor configured in a notch this way. Any thoughts? Pros/Cons?

I know there are plenty here that are all about stock, which I totally respect, but this looks like a nice ride overall. No?

W1K1 Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:10 pm

just someone too lazy to build the motor right. No reason to not run the proper cooling, and still have a usable trunk. :roll:

Here2halcyon Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:22 pm

There must be another reason I'd guess. A great deal of work looks like it was put into the project.

Komissar Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:37 pm

I would say the builder liked the looks of the upright T1 engine with dual Dellortos.
Also some minor advantages:
- more space around the carbs. Easier to adjust and tune. Easier to change sparkplugs.
- The possibility of running taller air filters on those Delortos (they might even have a velocity stack in there), thus obtaining better airflow through the carbs than when using a Dellorto kit designed for a pancake engine.
- Longer intake manifolds - slightly better bottom end torque.
- I see the builder made a good job of isolating the lower part of the engine from the upper part. Thus, the carbs are receiving cold air. Dual aftermarket Weber IDF/Dellorto kits for the type 3 usually have air filters that by design suck in warm air from around the engine and exhaust.

sjbartnik Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:38 pm

Here2halcyon wrote: There must be another reason I'd guess. A great deal of work looks like it was put into the project.

I've seen tons of money/hours spent on crap work.

Here2halcyon Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:41 pm

sjbartnik wrote:

Could you be more specific?

W1K1 Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:07 pm

Quote: I see the builder made a good job of isolating the lower part of the engine from the upper part. Thus, the carbs are receiving cold air. Dual aftermarket Weber IDF/Dellorto kits for the type 3 usually have air filters that by design suck in warm air from around the engine and exhaust.

My dells use the stock intake vents and a lower air scoop, a lot colder air that sucking from a hot sealed trunk. And the stock location is easy to adjust and access jetting, the only drawback is removing the carb/manifolds for spark plug changes. Which is 2 bolts on either side.

notchboy Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:10 pm

Here2halcyon wrote: sjbartnik wrote:

Did you win it?

Here2halcyon Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:42 pm

notchboy wrote:

Did you win it?

Wasn't sure about the T1 mod so I didn't make a bid. I asked the seller if he'd take an offer outside the auction. Haven't heard back.

EverettB Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:08 pm

I've owned a Notchback with an upright engine.

One HUGE Con:
The engine is LOUD inside the car, like super loud.

Compare that to the stock engine in my old '63 Notchback, which you could barely hear at idle and it was pretty quiet inside the vehicle, even at 60 mph.

ataraxia Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:11 pm

notchboy wrote: Here2halcyon wrote: sjbartnik wrote:

Did you win it?

No one did - reserve not met.

Jeremy Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:36 pm

Good thing no one won that! it looks like a early 62 body put on a irs pan. I'd be willing to bet the only "64" part on that car is the vin plate under the hood...

notchboy Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:06 pm

Jeremy wrote: Good thing no one won that! it looks like a early 62 body put on a irs pan. I'd be willing to bet the only "64" part on that car is the vin plate under the hood...

Well that said, if someone did cobble some stuff together to bring back a notch - then they did a decent job. One more on the road - sweet wrap around as well.

As far as the motor - Its off to a good start for that kind of mod. They needed to have blocked off behind the motor behind the seat. Unless they did and cant see. How is the motor getting air? THey took the time to put the tin around the motor to prevent the exhaust heat from rising - did they open up something to let fresh air in for the cooling and carbs? I always thought a 356 grill would be neat in the decklid of one of these mods.

The car is detailed nice. THere was some $ thrown at it for sure. Just needs that final push to be super nice.

Here2halcyon Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:29 pm

notchboy wrote: Jeremy wrote: Good thing no one won that! it looks like a early 62 body put on a irs pan. I'd be willing to bet the only "64" part on that car is the vin plate under the hood...

Well that said, if someone did cobble some stuff together to bring back a notch - then they did a decent job. One more on the road - sweet wrap around as well.

As far as the motor - Its off to a good start for that kind of mod. They needed to have blocked off behind the motor behind the seat. Unless they did and cant see. How is the motor getting air? THey took the time to put the tin around the motor to prevent the exhaust heat from rising - did they open up something to let fresh air in for the cooling and carbs? I always thought a 356 grill would be neat in the decklid of one of these mods.

The car is detailed nice. THere was some $ thrown at it for sure. Just needs that final push to be super nice.

That's what I was thinking. I just don't have the bread to be a stock purist. I'm basically just looking for a sharp rust free and reliable ride at a decent price. The lack of ventilation and probability of loud engine noise in the cab might put me off this one though.

Jeremy Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:18 pm

notchboy - I too am glad to see another notch on the road! I just wish the person listing it on ebay had been truthful about the build. The body is definitely not a 64 and to say they converted the stock pan to irs.... please!

However, the car does look good as it sits. I would think there's no reason to not keep the pancake setup for the motor. Like you and halcyon pointed out, the overheating potential and possible noise issue would keep me from buying

ibjack Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:02 am

Jeremy wrote: notchboy - I too am glad to see another notch on the road! I just wish the person listing it on ebay had been truthful about the build. The body is definitely not a 64 and to say they converted the stock pan to irs.... please!

This is totally possible by removing the entire rear subframe, then adding brackets in to hold the rear engine hanger.

I have seen this car in person and it's very nice and is fast. The guys who built it are not VW guys but they are serious car builders and had some amazing cars in their shop.

KTPhil Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:26 am

Do I read the ad right that the reserve was $38K?!

notchboy Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:48 am

Jeremy wrote: notchboy - I too am glad to see another notch on the road! I just wish the person listing it on ebay had been truthful about the build. The body is definitely not a 64 and to say they converted the stock pan to irs.... please!

However, the car does look good as it sits. I would think there's no reason to not keep the pancake setup for the motor. Like you and halcyon pointed out, the overheating potential and possible noise issue would keep me from buying

Over the years Ive tried to appreciate what things are as to what they are not in the T3 world.

Very few of us T3 owners can enjoy correct. Especially when the entry level is a bombed out body with parts from several cars from several years. This Im sure was an example of chicken shit made into chicken soup. Not to everyone's taste but tasty nonetheless :wink:

People throw the word stock around a lot. The parts are stock, just not stock to the claimed year. There is always another side to the coin. A person with limited interest in VW's or how the mob thinks will call it as they see it.

The year is only known by the seller - did he have a 62 title? A 64? Did he go off the pan or the body?? Its an early modified notch - nothing more nothing less.

And finaly for the record. This is not my taste. But I can for sure see the time and detail put into it. Its not a hack, looks nice and clean - and I want that dash :twisted:

Erik G Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:23 am

absolutely agree with Jason on the state of type 3's nowadays. Most were once rusty POS that were patched, were crashed and welded, made up of 5 million parts, and the owners want a lot of money for them. And when you do sell a nice original car, no one wants to pay

this car though, I don't know guys. yeah some stuff is nice but just looking for a minute and I see a lot of crap. Tighten the damn axle at least...

there is an awful lot of welding here. never seen this type of crap outside of a dirt track race car

this just shows so much afterthought. Like they had a fast motor left over from the 80's 90's. that cast aluminum trim is way dated, and who would use a motorolla alternator with the external regulator. That's really old and probably worse than a generator

2 people to drop the oil filter was a bad afterthought. maybe you could reach both sides but I don't know.

agreed on the dash - very nice

notchboy Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:29 am

Aww they just used the chicken in the bag from CostCo instead of the fresh rotisserie stuff :wink: :lol: