TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Idle Jet Situation
73sports Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:17 pm

The background... 64 notch S, stock engine. I drove the car to Flanders last month. Everything seemed fine going there. I had a lot of trouble getting the car started Sunday morning after camping out. I have never had this happen with this car before. Finally got it to fire up with starting fluid. When it was time to leave, the car wound not idle. I was able to get home fine, but had to nurse it at stops.
Here's where it gets interesting. I was able to isolate the problem to the left side carb. Looking around I saw there was some sort of rubber washer on the idle jet. I took the carb apart to make sure there was nothing clogging it up. I didn't find any smoking guns inside, the carb looks pretty good. I sprayed cleaner through the passages, and appears to be flowing well. Put it back together and the car still won't idle. If I back the idle jet slightly out, then the car will idle. I'm assuming the rubber washer was put on as a Band-Aid to keep the jet in place, but not fully installed. I have swapped the jets between the carbs, and the problem stays on the left side carb. Anyone see anything like this?

old DKP driver Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:54 pm

The rubber sealing ring was added to help reduce vibrations on the electric
idle jets due to the heavy load of the solenoid on the carb.

Usually the idle jet orifice will become oval when the jet vibrates loose and
will cause a vacuum leak also.Let's hope the carb orifice is not too terribly
deformed and you can still make the idle circuit Work properly.

Sometimes putting a couple drops of sealer on the threads will keep the
jet from vibrating loose.

EasternNotch Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:48 am

Sorry to hear about your troubles- I was there and had no idea you were having problems. ( I was the one that came by when you first arrived)

I am assuming you have electric idle cut offs based on that rubber ring you are describing. Yes?

When you swap them you have similar results so that eliminates bad cut off solenoid. Is that side getting power to the cut off?

-Lucas

73sports Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:44 am

I wasn't having troubles with it when I talked to you... didn't happen until the next morning.

I don't have the idle jets with the solenoids in them, just standard brass jets, so the bore and threads in the carb body look fine. I can't find any passages that are blocked in the carb body. I have swapped the jets between the carbs, and the problem stays with the left carb, so it can't be the jet.

73sports Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:11 pm

Well, I had the carb all apart, and I think one of the pin sized vacuum ports may have been clogged. Put it back on the car a bit ago and was still having problems. But, I think it all boiled down to the carb was adjusted so screwy, and that was the main problem. I've got the jet installed properly now, and the car is idling. I just find it hard to believe it was running as well as it was with all this adjusted incorrectly.