TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Very Early VW Radio for Bus?
Wowabunga Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:27 am

Unable to find any model numbers. Just a long list of numbers looks like a serial number. Thanks in advance for any productive directions.

Buttons read 1 2 3 4 5 M

Since this has a face plate it's got to be OEM something. Made by Motarola.

EverettB Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:56 am

I have never seen this radio myself.

If you are asking if it's a standard VW Bus radio then No, not to my knowledge.

Could it have been installed in a Bus?
Sure, anything can be installed.

Wowabunga Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:18 am

Thanks EverettB... I have radio part numbers for just about every radio made in the past 60 years... not having a part number does slow me down. I'll open the case many times there'll be a paper tag inside.

Have to assume with the "M" middle band that this was in a foreign car maybe a early Audi or BMW. Motorola made a lot of radios for imports OEM installs I've been told.

EverettB Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:11 am

I did a search and found these 2 radios on eBay.

Buttons are similar to yours so maybe the models #s listed below will help you find yours with some more Google searching?

vintage car radio Motorola 64c72276
http://www.ebay.com/itm/222203647137

vintage car radio motorola 64c-73106
http://www.ebay.com/itm/222203652920

Malokin Martin Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:56 pm

Didn't most "original" radios fit the hole properly? I feel like it would be unlikely that a dealer would be cutting big chunks of dash on a new car to shoe-horn that in when there were alternatives that fit correctly. Anything's possible, but whats more probable?

CaLiBus Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:57 pm

Malokin Martin wrote: Didn't most "original" radios fit the hole properly? I feel like it would be unlikely that a dealer would be cutting big chunks of dash on a new car to shoe-horn that in when there were alternatives that fit correctly. Anything's possible, but whats more probable?

this radio wouldn't fit the holes to my 58 bus

EverettB Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:07 pm

Malokin Martin wrote: Didn't most "original" radios fit the hole properly? I feel like it would be unlikely that a dealer would be cutting big chunks of dash on a new car to shoe-horn that in when there were alternatives that fit correctly. Anything's possible, but whats more probable?

Generally Yes for Split Buses in regards to the center square hole, although some had faceplates to fill gaps.

For the 2 tuning post holes the Sapphire radios, and maybe others, required you to open up the holes a bit.

Wowabunga Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:52 am

Hiding behind the face plate was the model number stamp. 1949 Studebaker radio. Sorry to "bug" you :)