TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: What's that big yellow star next to user name? Page: 1, 2  Next
Xevin Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:50 am

Who has a yellow star next to their name and why? Holidays are around the corner. Could make a nice gift for you or someone else. If you've ever saved a few bucks, quid, loonies, Euros, Kuopang, Piso, and etc because of this site. Heck, maybe you just made a buddy or went on some kick ass camp out with Samba folks. Perhaps traveling around countries using this to get "Likes" on your travel blog. Roll it over and pay it forward. Don't dig big yellow pretentious stars. You could always just donate or buy a shirt :wink:
Thanks Everett and team! And big thanks to the knowledgeable folks that take the time to contribute.

Have at it. This is to raise awareness of those that don't know about membership or realize there is a donate option. Not a guilt trip for those that don't. Keep in mind, the moderators have to be paying members. I wonder if I could sponsor Tcash? My last unofficial fund raiser got locked. :-k
Ironically I got PMs from people who became members because of it.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=614687&highlight=donate

Globespotter Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:03 am

Yup - I do. When I had my first Bug and Bus, there was no internet, so no real good resource like this to help out.

The Samba helped me directly to find and buy my 71 SB, my 77 Westy and to hook me up with Colin to go over my bus this past week, not to mention the countless tips I have received - either in response to questions or just be searching and reading.

Well worth the donation in my mind.

Doug

KentABQ Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:35 am

Globespotter wrote:
Well worth the donation in my mind.

Doug

I second that. Even though I've only been a member for a couple months, it's paid for itself many times over. And it provides a network for meeting cool VW folks. 8)

Question: Is that REALLY a gold star? It looks more chrome yellow to me. :lol:

61 BUS Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:35 am

Me too. Having four air cooled VWs, I find this site an incredible resource.

babysnakes Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:47 am

Oh shit...I PAID FOR THAT?

All kidding aside, I like yellow things with five points.

Yarkle Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:47 am

me. cuz of stuff like this post that I just read today:

aeromech wrote: I see that you're not too far away from me. Get the bus down here and I'll help you.

but this is a good reason too

babysnakes wrote: All kidding aside, I like yellow things with five points.

Manfred58sc Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:05 am

I donate regularly , gold stars give me bad flash backs from grade school. This is a great site.

OB Bus Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:52 am

I had a yellow thing with 5 points years ago. I asked for its removal due to a policy disagreement with management/ownership. I have purchased memberships for others and I donate every time I sell something on the site.

This site is not a charity and it is a business but everyone needs to contribute to make it go.

chabanais Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:38 am

I didn't know... I'll donate. I thought it was for something else...

awreed Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:54 am

Thank you for posting this, Xevin. I never really bothered to look at premium membership until just now. I've taken so much from this site that it's time I started giving back.
Thank you, too, Everett.

SGKent Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:02 am

there is no car community that has as much support as the VW community. We can thank Everett and all others here for this. Whether you have a star by your name or not is not that important to me. What is important is that you have a reliable bus (or other VW) that you can enjoy, and you don't go broke fixing it up by being taken advantage of. Donate if you can. Help support the Samba resources.

Xevin Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:33 am

awreed wrote: Thank you for posting this, Xevin. I never really bothered to look at premium membership until just now. I've taken so much from this site that it's time I started giving back.
Thank you, too, Everett.

Nice! =D> That's what this is all about. Sure this is a business with ads to support it, but I'm sure not a lucrative one. Nice feedback everyone.

Glenn Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:01 am

Gold stars are nice, but writing a tech post with pictures and descriptions is also nice.

Sharing knowledge is one of the main reasons this site exists. (proving you're smarter than others is not). ;)

wcfvw69 Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:44 am

Glenn wrote: (proving you're smarter than others is not). ;)

What?!?!

:lol:

chabanais Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:49 am

Glenn wrote: Gold stars are nice, but writing a tech post with pictures and descriptions is also nice.

Agreed there are different ways of contributing.

"No bucks, no Buck Rogers."

Tom Powell Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:57 am

Mine was a gift from Aeromech. When it expires I'll pay for the next and avoid the shame of begging from a friend.

Aloha
tp

notchboy Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:01 pm

Do I still have a star? Nope - need to fix that.

Xevin Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:02 pm

Because of this site over the years I've probably saved more money knowing what not to do then learning how to do. And I keep on learning :D you guys and and gals are great. Thank you.

Premium membership info here
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/premium_membership.php

For people with Siderophobia this.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/donate.php

Siderophobia (from Latin sīdus, "star, constellation") is the fear of stars. It is a very rare and peculiar phobia. Individuals may want to avoid venturing outside at night while staying indoors with all the window curtains shut when it gets dark. If anyone who suffers siderophobia sees stars, they may faint, lose control of their mind, feel nauseas, sweat, tremble, lose breath, increase heart rate, and suffer panic attacks.

Tom Powell Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:31 pm

Xevin wrote: ... Siderophobia (from Latin sīdus, "star, constellation") is the fear of stars. It is a very rare and peculiar phobia. Individuals may want to avoid venturing outside at night while staying indoors with all the window curtains shut when it gets dark. If anyone who suffers siderophobia sees stars, they may faint, lose control of their mind, feel nauseas, sweat, tremble, lose breath, increase heart rate, and suffer panic attacks.

and mess their pants.

Aloha
tp

JGB Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:57 pm

I have use the sight to sell some items. And have got a lot great information from the site.