TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Right or wrong?
nreslifer Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:57 am

Referring to the photo is this cable guide right or does it go on the other
side with the flange up not down?

flyboy161 Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:11 am

I know nothing about sunroof installation, but....according to this booklet it looks right:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/vwsunroof_h2o.php

nreslifer Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:00 am

Didn't know they were pretty much alike I looked at it couldn't tell from looking though.

nreslifer Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:01 pm

Anyone know?

hitest Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:16 pm

Steel sunroofs comprise few 64-67 cars- much rarer than ragtops. So definitely visit the 68- up threads if you don't get much response here.

evanfrucht Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:22 pm

that looks right to me, my 67 sunroof has the later aluminum cable guides. i dont understand your question really, but that looks right to me.

nreslifer Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:38 am

I got a friend that tells me he has a roof with a metal sunroof in it sitting in his barn,going down tomarrow to take a look at it

VOLKSWAGNUT Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:19 pm

My 1964 sunroof had aluminum cable guide tubes.. I think they all do.. (64-77).
Each side had pair of tubes that were positioned from the gear box over to each actual side track

I think the piece being referred to in the picture is not a guide but an anti rattle channel for the actual guide tubes.. .. and it looks installed correctly. .

nreslifer Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:14 pm

I know someone that has a couple of roofs with intact sunroof,needed a crank assembly for mine.When I cut the headliner out found these two pieces underneath don't recall if my car had them when I took it apart Anyone taking
a car with a sunroof apart carefully remove these because I don't think any vendors make them.Now if my friend didn't have those roofs I would have been shit out of luck.