TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Leaking drive flange help
85Joker Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:59 pm

Hi

1985 manual with a 091 transmission. It looks like my passenger side drive flange is leaking

But what seals the gear oil in there, just the cap? I was expecting to see an o ring in the diagram. If it's just the cap, this is easy.

Thanks

MarkWard Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:21 pm

The cap seals the center of the flange. There is a lip type seal under the flange that seals the outer surface of the flange. Cap pops out and is easily replaced. The other seal requires removing the flange.

Texxxxx Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:27 am

FWIW, the drive seal in my '85 was starting to leak very slowly. Like a drop every couple days. After some help from the forum identifying what was leaking, and being encouraged to clean the breather, I searched around and found a few threads discussing cleaning the breather.

The breather is located top, front driver's side of the transmission next to a bolt. You need a mirror to look at it properly. I learned that when the gear oil heats up and creates pressure, if your breather is clogged, it will find another way to go. Mine was thoroughly caked and covered by a good 1/2" of crud; not to mention the breather hole, itself, being full.

Cleaning the breather solved my problem, but you are so far into it, I would guess you will replace the seals. Check the breather, though, to prevent future problems and thanks to all the people that posted great info on this subject and advised clearing the breather before doing anything else.

85Joker Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:29 pm

OP here. Thanks!

I didn't know about the breather hole, but that seams like the first thing to check.

Howesight Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:41 pm

If the vent is fine, then you have a failed seal. Easy peasy. Disonnect the CV at the transaxle side. Use a zip tie to hang it up out of the way. Pop that sealing plug out of the drive flange. You will see a 13mm bolt that retains the drive flange in the diff. Remove it. Now pull the drive flange off, clean it and inspect the area where the old seal was riding. If there is a large groove there, replace the drive flange. If there is a small groove, use 220 grit emery cloth to smooth out the groove and finish with, say, 320 emery cloth or even sandpaper if you are handy. You can use a garbage bolt through the drive flange with a nut on the other end to allow you to chuck the bolt end in a drill. This will allow you to spin the drive flange in your drill for the polishing of the seal area.

Pull the seal out being careful not to damage the seal seating area. Use a large socket to tap in the new seal to the same depth the old one occupied or as shown in the Bentley manual. Apply a bit of grease to the seal lip and put the drive flange back in place. Use blue Loctite on the bolt that retains the drive flange. Now use a bit of silicone to install the seal that goes over the drive flange retaining bolt.

When re-attaching the CV to the drive flange, do your best to ensure that there is no grease on the mating surfaces of the CV joint and the drive flange. I recommend torqueing the 6 CV bolts a little more than the Bentley spec.

85Joker Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:47 pm

Texxxxx wrote: FWIW, the drive seal in my '85 was starting to leak very slowly. Like a drop every couple days. After some help from the forum identifying what was leaking, and being encouraged to clean the breather, I searched around and found a few threads discussing cleaning the breather.

The breather is located top, front driver's side of the transmission next to a bolt. You need a mirror to look at it properly.

Thanks Texxxxx!
I put everything back together and just cleaned the breather hole and NO MORE LEAK! It was a pain to clean it working under the can with a mirror. I think replacing the seals would have been easier for as far as I already was, but would not have solved the overpressure problem and it would have still leaked.

bonus that the leak got my oil level down to the proper 9/16" below the hole.

Texxxxx Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:24 am

85Joker wrote: It was a pain to clean it working under the can with a mirror.

....I have a lot more appreciation for my dentist's skills, now...:)