TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Gas accumulates in gas cap
John S. Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:02 pm

1971 Bus with a stock 1600cc running really well.
Had her on jack stands for about two weeks doing the front end over.
Back on the ground and still running well.
Noticed gas smell around the filler and saw a little damp spot near the neck inside the filler door. When I took the cap off I noticed
the cap was full of fuel...what gives? :roll:
Drove about sixty miles yesterday and about twenty five today; same situation...

busdaddy Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:33 pm

Has the weather been warm and suddenly cooled off recently? Sounds like condensation to me, coupled with a bad seal that lets the stuff on the inside of the cap escape instead of running back down the neck.

When you say "full of fuel", is your cap hollow somehow?, the OG cap is nearly flat on the inside and non vented.

John S. Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:48 pm

The cap I have (which I believe is original) is flat but has a spacer of sorts inside of it which allows some fuel to get into the cap.
Good call on the condensation; hot as sin Florida did cool down this past week, in the mornings at least. I'll clean this out and see if it reappears.
The cap seal (reddish in color) seems right but is likely forty six years old and rather hard and inflexible. I'll make/buy a new seal.

Thanks yet again...

richparker Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:51 pm

I have a cap with a reddish seal on my '68 that I believe to be OG. There is always some gas in it when I open it. Not much but enough to see it rolling around in there. I often hold it with the seal facing the ground to see if some of it comes out, it never does. I figure it to be par for the course.

scrivyscriv Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:55 am

Wolfsburg west has the replacement seal for a '71 bus gas cap, I just ordered two to replace my cracked (and leaking and stinking, thank you very much) original red seal.

I like them a lot, good fit and very reasonably priced.
I have a charcoal canister on my bus from factory, and the gas cap is a non-vented 70mm.

https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211201557E