TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: idle help!
ratfinkwesty Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:26 pm

got a bug with 1600cc and installed alternator and while back and the dang car not want to idle at all after i installed it... So, i installed new points, cap rotor, condenser, fuel pump, fuel filter, 34pict carb and still dont wants to idle. it fires up and but dont want to stay idle in cold. i am sooo stumped any idea what could cause that.... :cry:

bluebus86 Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:21 pm

ratfinkwesty wrote: got a bug with 1600cc and installed alternator and while back and the dang car not want to idle at all after i installed it... So, i installed new points, cap rotor, condenser, fuel pump, fuel filter, 34pict carb and still dont wants to idle. it fires up and but dont want to stay idle in cold. i am sooo stumped any idea what could cause that.... :cry:

id recheck the timing. that may have been altered with the new points. also confirm ypu dont have any spark plug wires mixed up. finally make sure the carbnis tuned properly, mixture and idle. do this per the official vw manual. note the later carbs are adjusted differently than the older ones like the 28 carbs.

also make sure the electric chokemis funtioning, the choke heater is next to the new alternator and may have been bumped.

good luck