TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1973 1600 No spark
Innosentz Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:00 am

Hello, I have a fiberglass buggy with a 73 1600 duel port engine. When I received the bug someone had removed the distributor clamp stud and replaced it with a bolt that IMO is way too big for the threads. The first time i removed it several threads came out with it. I replaced the 009 distributor that was in it with a pertoronix igniter 2 distributor with the flame thrower 2 coil. It was running for a couple of days but then no spark. So I tested the distributor ground with a DMM. 0.3 ohms. Seems like a good reading. I then replaced it with the 009 distributor with points. I also replaced the coil with a standard coil. Still no spark on any cylinder or at the coil. Now with the points the coil gets very hot after about 3 cranks. This leads me to believe the spark demand is too high. I then wired a test lamp to the - side of coil and cranked over engine by hand. the test lamp turn on and off as it should due to the points opening and closing. I then added a ground wire to the camp bolt to help ground the distributor. Still no spark. Still a 0.3 ohm reading.

I assume the threads are bad and need to be tapped. does anyone know the best way to go about this? Or has anyone encountered this problem before?

Cusser Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:14 am

Use a step stud to fix. tap to 10mm, the protruding threads would be 8 x 1.25mm as stock was. See http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?...ton=Search

Or tap to 3/8 inch and use 3/8 stud, and drill the distributor clamp hole larger.