TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Mexican Beetle Alt stand with dual carn linkage
Drewmon Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:23 am

Here is my dilemma.

I had a serpentine setup but was having an oil leak at the crank so I bought a new set of sand seal pullies from CB (V belt), once installed, the belt was way to loose, 3"-4" of play. I called CB and worked with them, They asked a bunch of questions and they said "It must be your Alt stand since it's aftermarket". I ordered a new Mexican Beetle OEM stand from them per their recommendation, installed it along with a different billet Alt pulley (to match the crank pulley). Once everything was installed and tightened (with zero alt pulley shims) the belt was better, but still had 1-2" of play.

So now I have bought from CB:

2 different Alt pullies,
a sand seal crank pulley kit
new belt
new alt stand

And nothing fits correctly.

I still have play with the belt, CB's now said, maybe its the belt. But the issue a have now is that the new alt stand has the tension strap bolt at the very top of the Alt. I went to install the Hex bar linkage and realized that the bolt for the strap is in direct location that the bar goes through. HAs anyone used this Alt stand with a dual carb setup?

jpaull Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:54 am

Are you using the CB performance linkage? If so you have 3 heights where you can position your hex bar, and you can simply go up a notch to clear your alternator strap bolt

KTPhil Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:33 pm

What is a "carn linkage"? Is a small one a carnitas linkage?
;-)

Sharp64 Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:55 pm

KTPhil wrote: What is a "carn linkage"? Is a small one a carnitas linkage?
;-)

Mmmm... Carnitas!!

74 Thing Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:58 pm

Post a photo of the engine.

What belt are you using (manufacturer and size).

You just need a smaller belt.