TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: towbar or dolly?
Flipseat Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:57 pm

Just curious what you guys have to say about this...
This weekend a friend and I will be towing a split bus approx. 900 miles. What would you guys do to tow it? We'll be using an F-150 to pull. Now I've used trailers in the past to tow about 6,000 miles total, but thats all I've used. Has anyone ever towed 1000 miles with a towbar? How about a tow dolly? What would you use? We have 4 good tires on rims to bring with.
Just looking for your opinions.

spookymulder Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:02 pm

I've towed a bus 1000 miles with a "bus" tow bar and it was awesome, I would say No to the dolly they tend to wag at certain speeds and a towbar won't!

scarroll Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:06 pm

If you use a tow dolly, you might want to throw it onto the back of the truck while it's empty. They bounce horribly without a load on them. If you don't trailer the bus, consider having a spare set of wheel bearings, grease, and the tools to change them (front and rear, unless you use the dolly, then front only).

VintageAutoWerks Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:13 pm

I have towed with a bus tow bar in town. They work very good. Never did 1,000 miles but heck worth a try. If worse comes to worse could go to U-haul and get a trailer. Heck as long as I get my bus back safe I am happy.

dstefun Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:25 pm

Make sure the redux boxes and tranny are full before you leave. You don't want to change rear wheel bearings on the road. And an hour to grease the front bearings first might not be wasted either. If the bus has no tires now I'd take 4 to put on and another for a spare. Sounds like fun!

I've used both towbars and dollys on other cars but neither with a bus. I didn't have any trouble with either one. Good luck!

Flipseat Sun Mar 28, 2004 9:20 pm

Well, we ended up using a tow bar. To make a long story short, the trailer/tow bar choice was the least of our worries as the vehicle that was supposed to be doing the pulling broke down half way through the trip! But, thanks to a rented Chevy Blazer (only 6,400 miles on it when we got it) we got the job done. 900+ miles using a tow bar.

I must say that Jeremy's tow bars are quite nice!!

j.pickens Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:42 pm

Flipseat,
There's Murphy's Law in action.
Broken down tow vehicle....sheeesh.... :?

jeremyrockjock Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:47 am

flipseat wrote: I must say that Jeremy's tow bars are quite nice!!
Thanks! :D

VintageAutoWerks Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:11 am

Damn broken down vehicles what a pain in the ass. But all is good we found some hillbilly kids to buy it for $100 at 10 o'clock at nite and we were back on the road and headed home. Ended up getting a 59 Panel which we towed behind the Blazer and the Flipseat that is still in Texas anyone intereted in that? Otherwise another trip is going to have to happen in two weeks or so. Not really looking forward to the long trip right away again. But yes the towbar worked great. I have used them around town and they worked great but using it over 900 miles it really proved itself and the maker. Thanks Jeremy you saved us tons of money from not having to rent a dolly. If anyone was thinking about getting a towbar but really wasn't sure of the quality I say go for it. Thing weighs in just under 50lbs and is built to last. I havent had any issues with it at all.

Skywave Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:37 am

Where is a good source to buy a BUS towbar? The vw shops I've been to have bug ones but not the taller and longer bus one...

VintageAutoWerks Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:45 am

The best place to buy the bus towbar is JeremyRockJock. You will also see some of his ads for the towbars if you do some searching in the classifeds. Think they are running about $200 shipped. Very worth while investment if you dont want the extra expensive or renting a dolly or a trailer. They fit nice in the back a truck or back of the bus.

jeremyrockjock Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:47 am

xshelton wrote: Where is a good source to buy a BUS towbar? The vw shops I've been to have bug ones but not the taller and longer bus one...
http://thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/index.php?alert+200401261545115889