TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Kadrons and Tuning Mixture with Filters Off...
legbuh Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:17 pm

I was watching kaddieshacks article on tuning kadrons and I thought I would do this on the new to me 64 with 1776, 110 cams.

Of course it's virtually impossible to reach the idle screws with the filters on, and the video said take them off if you need to. So I did.

I was able to get them running and tuned with the idle closed all the way.. Super awesome. I went back and forth and adjusted a couple times until I was happy with it.

Then I put the filters back on, went to start it up and it wouldn't even idle (engine still warm of course). I had to crack the throttle to get it running, and then eventually increase the idle so it would stay running.

This tells me that with the filters on it's running MUCH richer than with them off, and tuning with filters off really doesn't do any good. (yes, the filters are clean).

Anyone else run into this? For tuning the idle mixture I used to put a piece of tubing on the adjuster so I could tune carbs by turning the tube attached to the screws, but I don't think that will work in this case.

I can just tell I'm running way to rich by the smell alone at idle.

The idle jets it came with are 60s. From what I've read this should be good for my setup.

SubbinNCali Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:08 pm

legbuh wrote: I was watching kaddieshacks article on tuning kadrons and I thought I would do this on the new to me 64 with 1776, 110 cams.

Of course it's virtually impossible to reach the idle screws with the filters on, and the video said take them off if you need to. So I did.

I was able to get them running and tuned with the idle closed all the way.. Super awesome. I went back and forth and adjusted a couple times until I was happy with it.

Then I put the filters back on, went to start it up and it wouldn't even idle (engine still warm of course). I had to crack the throttle to get it running, and then eventually increase the idle so it would stay running.

This tells me that with the filters on it's running MUCH richer than with them off, and tuning with filters off really doesn't do any good. (yes, the filters are clean).

Anyone else run into this? For tuning the idle mixture I used to put a piece of tubing on the adjuster so I could tune carbs by turning the tube attached to the screws, but I don't think that will work in this case.

I can just tell I'm running way to rich by the smell alone at idle.

The idle jets it came with are 60s. From what I've read this should be good for my setup.

You're not supposed to adjust the idle mixture with the throttle all the way closed. The throttle linkage is set that way so that they're synced. Gotta give them a few turns afterwards to start the engine and get them dialed in. That's how I did it and haven't needed to touch them since. Make sure you use the snail and make adjustments accordingly. Set your idle speed last.