TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: VW wall of shame Page: 1, 2  Next
TDCTDI Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:36 pm

Every shop or home garage has its little momentoes of that catastrophic failure or like the tire shop that has a jar on the counter of things that have been removed from tires (one near me had a C-cell battery & a rib bone from some animal in theirs). Let's see your trophies of those WTF or oops moments.

Glenn Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:47 pm

TDCTDI Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:54 pm

One of my personal favorites was from a car that blew a radiator hose but the customer drove it until it stopped. The engine got so hot that it melted the plastic windage tray in the oil pan to the point that it almost liquified & it got sucked into the oil pump pick up tube & starved the engine of oil.

TDCTDI Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:58 pm

Glenn wrote:

NICE!!

mark tucker Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:53 pm

wow glen is onto somethen there....wonder if glen worked at atom works.... :wink:
wish I was smert enogh to post picks....but most of my wall of shame is new parts that shouldent of been made, made rong, made stupid, cant work wright and so on...yup lotsa bugpack stuff :shock: just kidden but they do leed the way. some can be fixed, some cant, some....were sent back,some were denied by bugpack as being thiers..even though they are still in thier bugpoop skinpackaging. dist shaft missing most of the teeth(no bugpoop didnt make them but they did sell it to me) Ive goten heads that were machined twisted on the casting...and also had the seats in crooked.... I bought them new.....they went in the scrap pile for about a year then I reseated them correctly&remmachined them....and a lot more. ive goted a set of Hbeam rods from CIP1 that had 5/16 bolts in 11/32 threads...., and some of thier lifters that were not round on the body they had a bunch of flats..pure shit. rockers that were not square to the shafts...about .018" out on the foot witch is only 3/8" wide :shock: thats afu. and some lash caps that were domed ... and some...dam this could take years.Id better stop now before my blood pressure excedes my bugs.

joe56vw Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:14 pm

In 20 year this was the only time I've seen this with a stock engine

My buddy who has been in the hobby for 30+years said this was only his second one ever to see

hitest Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:39 pm

I've kept a broken conrod/piston combo on my shelf since the summer of 1986- when I tried to rebuild my own first 40hp. It has moved with me from my folks, to college, apt. to home. It's a reminder to never, ever do that again.

Brian Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:45 pm

EMPI quality parts

Glenn Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:02 pm

joe56vw wrote: In 20 year this was the only time I've seen this with a stock engine

My buddy who has been in the hobby for 30+years said this was only his second one ever to see
I've seen that.

EVfun Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:34 am

That is a whole new definition for "dropped spindle."
Brian wrote: EMPI quality parts

borninabus Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:53 am

my personal favorite is this clutch cable "fix" found on a 79 bus:

mark tucker Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:10 pm

the mother of invention....wonder whoo her mother was :shock:
that spindle looks like somebodys welded droped poop kit.

pyrOman Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:24 am

January 2011, second broke crank inside a week!!! :roll:

Blew the transaxle on a Thursday just on my way to Lake Havafew, inched it home. While getting a center section built overnight, went to get some parts in the Bug... broke the Bug's crank on my way home. Friday at 6am got the center section, installed it and "test drove" it... all the way to Havafew!!! :P

On the way back, this crank broke at Glamis!!! :(

mark tucker Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:34 am

another broken welded crank.....I sure do like my china shit. :wink: and my new unused welded stroker crank???on the wall of shame shelf.
the little end of that rod looks to of been getten hot too.

jason Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:14 am

That spindle looks rusty in the front. Like it was cracked for a bit before breaking off. How low was the car? Looks like bump stop, shock was stronger than spindle.

glutamodo Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:39 am

the first and last cast crankshaft I'll ever buy:

Teeroy Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:09 pm

Too many RPM and un welded fan, lesson learned!

cdennisg Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:12 pm

Summer, 1994. '63 Westy, 65 40 horse from a junkyard beetle. Headed home from work (building a log house) on a beautiful evening. 55 MPH cruise, then hit 60 on a long downhill. No extra noise, just a couple of "tugs" from the bus and I shut it down. I coast for a mile or so then pull into the parking lot of a burned down bar called "The Broken Wheel". Hit the starter, no spin, only clunk. I walk another couple of miles to my friend's shop and call my dad.

After towing the bus home with his S10 I proceed to set my personal record for an engine pull, 19 minutes including the rear bumper. Dad was laughing and enjoying the live entertainment.

#4 Exhaust valve parted company with its stem at full speed. Beat the crap out of everything, everywhere. Oh well, another junkyard engine and I was back on the road, but not before commuting in my sister's Plymouth Reliant for a couple of weeks. :(

For Christmas a few months later, I received this from my dad. He JB welded the valve head to the piston and gift wrapped it. Swell guy. I still have this on a shelf in the shop, just for fun.

cdennisg Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:13 pm

Teeroy wrote: Too many RPM and un welded fan, lesson learned!

Nice pile of shrapnel.

pyrOman Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:09 pm

Teeroy wrote: Too many RPM and un welded fan, lesson learned!

BTDT semi-twice. First, blown fan like that one. Second wasn't blown but it swelled up to the point that it would not come out of the fan shroud. Ended up thrown away with the shroud. :?