TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Axle Oil Leak 71 SqrBk
sqbk1971 Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:26 pm

I can't figure out what is leaking. I thought it might be brake fluid but the lines are dry. The leak is on both sides of the front axle in the same place and they do not start from top to bottom but seem to be at the bottom and weeping upward. It does gather enough over time to drip.

Drivers side:

Passenger side:

Any thoughts?

KTPhil Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:16 pm

Could be old axle grease has thinned, and the oil has made its way out the weep holes or lower zirk fittings.

sqbk1971 Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:53 pm

KTPhil wrote: Could be old axle grease has thinned, and the oil has made its way out the weep holes or lower zirk fittings.

That makes some sense. Is the cure to pump in some new grease forcing the old out?

KTPhil Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:17 pm

Yes. The zerks might not be sealing, and letting oil drip through. They can be replaced. A good cleaning followed by periodic inspection may locate the source of the leak better. A soapy hot water wash from a self-serve car wash might do this for you.

sqbk1971 Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:40 pm

KTPhil wrote: Yes. There zero might not be sealing, and letting oil drip through. They can be replaced. A good cleaning followed by periodic inspection may locate the source of the leak better. A soapy hot water wash from a self-serve car wash might do this for you.

There zero?

Donnie strickland Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:45 pm

sqbk1971 wrote: KTPhil wrote: Yes. There zero might not be sealing, and letting oil drip through. They can be replaced. A good cleaning followed by periodic inspection may locate the source of the leak better. A soapy hot water wash from a self-serve car wash might do this for you.

There zero?

The zerks.

The old grease has separated into liquid and solids. Pump lots of fresh grease in there to get rid of all the old, and check the zerks. Unscrew them and clean them well, and replace them if the little ball check valves are bad.

rustyfastback Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:53 pm

Not sure how old you brake master cylinder is. I had those same leaks when the rear seal of my master cylinder was leaking (car sitting for 10 years before i fixed the brakes). There is a void in the pan where the brake fluid can flow to the lowest point & exit trough the frame head drain holes.

sqbk1971 Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:22 pm

rustyfastback wrote: Not sure how old you brake master cylinder is. I had those same leaks when the rear seal of my master cylinder was leaking (car sitting for 10 years before i fixed the brakes). There is a void in the pan where the brake fluid can flow to the lowest point & exit trough the frame head drain holes.

We'll crap there are two things to look at. Yes the master is old and yes it leaks. But I couldn't connect the flow from the master to these two spots.