TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Clutch Issues
LandalftheGray Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:45 pm

Hey everyone, I've been driving my 1969 Squareback regularly, and after a ton of maintenance it's running really well. Just today though, I was leaving my house and heard a *clunk* when I pressed the clutch pedal to get it out of gear. Here are the main issues now:

-will not fully disengage clutch to put it in gear
-still feels like it always has, no change in the pressure on the pedal
-allowed me to (uncomfortably) put it in reverse and drive that way..ish

Nothing major seems to be wrong aside from the obvious inability to put it in gear while it's running. Pedal feels normal and there aren't any drastic grinding sounds. I know there are the possibilities that it could be a bearing or fork issue, but I'm new so any info would be greatly appreciated!

Danwvw Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:49 pm

Hopefully it's just your clutch cable breaking one strand at a time.

Multi69s Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:25 pm

Danwvw wrote: Hopefully it's just your clutch cable breaking one strand at a time.

Time to pull it out and change it, when the cable does this, you can't feel it stretch (which it does) with your foot. Not to scare you but other possibility is the TO bearing fork breaking. When you pull the cable inspect the hook on the pedal assembly for excess wear, and put some grease on the hook when reassembling it.

glutenfree Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:26 pm

[quote="Multi69s"] Danwvw wrote: Not to scare you but other possibility is the TO bearing fork breaking.

Had this happen to me while out of state back in November 2015...1000+ miles from home. Cost me a number to get back on the road with a quickness to make it home for thanksgiving!

It felt like my cable snapped but after removing the pedal assembly, I realized it was something else.

LandalftheGray Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:18 pm

Again, I'm certainly no expert.. but I believe this may have been the problem :lol:
Thank you guys for the responses!