TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Manufacturer's letter for 1970 Thing
HIGHTOWER Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:55 pm

Hello ,
I'm stuck with registering a 1970 vw thing in Ca ,i brought it with me from Europe as personal car.It cleared customs ,has new Californian plates no problem,and now dmv send me papers asking to send them a manufacturers' letter that states the vehicle complies with USEPA emission standarts.
Anybody can gide me in the right direction to get that letter?

Greatings

KTPhil Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:48 pm

If bought is Europe, it may or may not meet US smog limits. If it was tourist delivery of a US-spec car, your odds are better. I doubt you will get a letter from VW so stating, though.

If it was a Euro-spec car, no paperwork can save you. But you may be able to put US equipment on it (maybe a different carb or jets, maybe a different PCV system, I don't know). Then you might get somewhere.

Sharp64 Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:04 am

Would you be able to retitle and register it in say Vermont, than attempt to have it reregistered back in California? As usual, California and its absurd bureaucracy. They'll probably offer you $1000 to let them crush it.

Cusser Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:52 am

HIGHTOWER wrote: Hello, I'm stuck with registering a 1970 vw thing in CA, I brought it with me from Europe as personal car. It cleared customs, has new Californian plates no problem,and now dmv send me papers asking to send them a manufacturers' letter that states the vehicle complies with USEPA emission standards.

I thought 1975 and earlier vehicles were EXEMPT from all California emissions testing???

BenJAMin Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:50 am

California has tightened this up
https://www.arb.ca.gov/html/master_faqs/vehicle_faqs/greymarket_cars_faq.htm

jwold Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:17 pm

KTPhil wrote: If bought is Europe, it may or may not meet US smog limits. If it was tourist delivery of a US-spec car, your odds are better. I doubt you will get a letter from VW so stating, though.

Hmmm, with the recent trouble VW is in over environmental issues they might not even believe a letter if you got one!