TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: **Help** Steering wheel removal..
SteveW Thu Mar 25, 2004 9:29 am

I am trying to remove my steering wheel so i can fit a restored one that i have been working on. Its the Volksworld show tomorrow and my bus is one of the stands so i really wanted it fitted! I have removed the centre nut and it wont budge. Its been removed last year some time so i hope its not fully stuck, but i dont want to really try too hard on it as i dont want to break it. Its already cracked so more stress will ruin it and i want to restore this one too. Is there any special way of doing it or is it just a case of being 'heavy handed'?

Cheers
Steve.

Okie Adam Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:30 am

check out www.23window.com tech section. There is a section a steering wheel removal.

vwkombi1966 Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:11 pm

i've had to remove steering wheels before, and it's easier said than done, but here's what's up: get some break free and SOAK the inner portion of the wheel. then after a couple of hours, get a RUBBER mallet and tap the S#!t from underneath alternating from left side to right. and if that doesn't work, well then, your gonna have to get rough.

edgy Sat Mar 27, 2004 5:04 pm

I put the nut back on to the point it is flush with the top of the steering rod but is not touching the steering wheel. Then I hit it with a hammer while lifting up the steering wheel with my knees. It typically pops loose and then you can back the nut off and lift off the wheel. Doing it without hte nut in place may mess up the threads.

j.pickens Sat Mar 27, 2004 8:59 pm

I have used the edgy technique, and it worked when wheel pullers did not.
The shock on the shaft breaks the wheel free of the splines better than a constant pull from a wheel puller.