TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: K&N for PICT 30/31
vw donvieira Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:35 pm

I have abandoned my oil bath filter and am looking for what K&N filter will work for my 1600 single port with PICT 30/31 carb.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.
vwdon

airschooled Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:22 am

This one fits really nicely. It does a great job of keeping elephants, pancakes, and banjos out of your engine.

http://www.knfilters.com/mobile/mProduct.aspx?prod=RA-071V

If you would like to keep dirt, rocks, dust, or grit out of your engine, the oil bath filters do a much better job.

Robbie

SGKent Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:17 am

it won't make any more HP or torque if that it your reason. The most restrictive part of a 1600 is the exhaust. If you are doing it for more power, to get more power you need to change the cam, exhaust, and go to dual carbs - maybe larger bore cylinders. You'll also need to do some porting and polishing on the heads and valves. Unless you go to larger cylinders you won't get more torque but you will get more top end power with the changes I mentioned but the KN will do nothing towards that. The downside is you'll beat the heck out of the engine pushing a brick around town. The oil bath filter and pre-heating is the best thing you can have for drivability in all conditions. It also does an excellent job of cleaning the air going into the engine. The only reasons I know for going to a KN are either bragging rights, you bought into their ads, or you are tired of buying filters. It is noisier too so the uuuuuuuuuuuuuuu will interfere with your sounds.