TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Dellorto drla idle issues
Vw1600dellortoGR Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:17 pm

Hello everybody, I have a pair of dellortos 36drla on my daily driver, they run pretty good in general but sometimes the idle drops and the engine vibrates bit creating a nocking sound, the engine does not knock, I dont adjust them when they are working bad because it will cause them to work bad in other spots. This usually happens after a trip or temporarily when i dump the pedal gain speed and then come to a stop..

ringomobile Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:07 pm

if I was to take a blind stab at it, I would say your linkages have some issues, maybe one side can get too low an idle.
I really like the dellorto carb, but if you really want to do anything yourself, you got to have the dellorto book. it really explains a lot. I really like the part where it says "if you have this problem check this" and has like 20 different things to check.
That being said, I sent mine to that place in Utah that rebuilds them, and they work great after that. Cant remember the name, but I got their info on this site.
Best money I spent
Good luck

mcdragracer Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:12 pm

Your carbs might need a rebuild, your plugs could be fouled, linkage could be out of whack, could have an intake leak or 20 other things etc, start with the basics, Dell's are great carbs and easy to tune, I like to keep things simple.
One thing I would suggest is making sure your plugs are not fouled vallves adjusted and compression is good and no intake leaks, then if necessary adjust and tune the carbs.

You can also pm me for any other questions.

chubby53 Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:32 am

i would also check for plugged idle passages. I know with my car, i'll get them running and idling great, then a micro piece of crap plugs them up and i'm idling on 3 cylinders. maybe pull one plug wire at a time to see if the RPMS change at all, then at least you'll know if it's one or both cylinders on one side or both???
good luck.