TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Austin to Key West by Westy: 3 minute video Page: 1, 2  Next
kourt Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:05 am

Here's a short video of our December trip to the Florida Keys and Everglades in our 91 Westy. Lots of Vanagon content.

Go to 2:29 to see the new spray port in action--when no local showers are to be had, the spray port is a nice alternative.

kourt

dobryan Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:54 am

Very nice. We have our annual trip to Key West this Spring and will also stay at Boyds campground. Many familiar places... :D

campism Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:29 am

"Florida is big."

Actually, more long than big. Driving from Richmond to Miami, we cross four states and hit the FL state line about halfway through the trip, making for a loooong second half of the drive.

Neat vid.

kourt Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:54 am

Long is right. It took us two days to get from Austin to Sarasota... and the Florida interstates are fast roads!

kourt

bobbyblack Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:27 pm

Did the IA to FL trip last year, 30 hours each way. Teenage (adult sized now) kids LOVED it, wanted to go this year again. Seeing your footage really brought my angst of this year's financial blockade front and center. My Westy was ready, my wallet wasn't :-(

I still need to get the rear headrests and 3 pt belts in. I like what you did on the rear seat! I've been through a bunch of the headrest posts, can't remember if you put your experience in one of those or not.

Cheers!

JudoJeff Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:48 pm

Heading down to Orlando on Thursday, Kourt. Wish me luck, first long drive since the re-build. 20 hours, plus or minus.....

yellowjacket Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:00 pm

Were heading down tomorrow from Washington via California then east, take a month to get to Key West. Won't be there until early February, on the 10 week plan.

Dan

jimf909 Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:09 pm

1) Three minutes of pure delight. Thanks!
2) My favorite scenes are the cooking and dining in the van. Those are some of my favorites when camping.
3) Looks like yous guys know how to have fun!
4) Cheers.

dhaavers Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:18 pm

Fun video - looks like a great trip! 8) Just long enough for my taste (time AND miles), great
sites AND sights, fun history, time on/in the water & CATS!!! In the epic words of Liz Lemon;

Thanks for posting! 8)

- Dave

E1 Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:35 pm

Yeah, I loved it, too! Very well done, love the tuneage and the entire presentation!

We just did south Virginia all around Florida to central Texas and now in Arizona. The entire coast was done only on the slow roads alongside it.

Again, Great video, Thanks Again!

SteveVanB Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:12 pm

If anyone is passing through or near Daytona and needs anything, let me know!
Great video btw!

dobryan Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:50 pm

SteveVanB wrote: If anyone is passing through or near Daytona and needs anything, let me know!
Great video btw!

And he means it! :lol:

tjet Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:56 am

Cool trip. I was with the Navy there at NAS Boca Chica. Next time you go, you should paddle out to Monkey Island. It's east of Cudjoe Key (I think). Stay in the water on your boat, though. It's a US Government property & you dont want to tangle with a monkey. Last time I was there, the monkeys were throwing sticks at me.

Also, did you happen to see the front paws on those Hemingway Cats?

kourt Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:54 am

Oh yes, polydactyls. When you're on a two week road trip and you left your cats behind in Austin, having a house full of 40+ cats to visit in Key West was a nice touch.

kourt

xoo00oox Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:56 am

Great video, looks like a really nice trip.

takeiteasy Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:18 am

Awesome vid and dig the soundtrack!

pinetreeporsche Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:59 am

Please give me info on the little shower head attachment. Does it just attach to the hose bib that comes on the van (what gives it any pressure, then?), or is there a little pump involved somehow, inside one of the cabinets?
Great snippets of your trip, a junket which others should consider (Disclosure: in the '60s I lived in Miami and Melbourne- think Cape Canaveral- in my high school years.) For those passing down the west coast of FL, don't miss one of the best small museums anywhere-- the world's largest Salvador Dali collection, in St. Petersburg (twin city of Tampa). They have well over 100 of Dali's originals, from tiny ones no bigger than the mirror on our vans to big ones you could hide a van behind. If somehow you don't know his work (everyone in my generation knew him for his extreme eccentricities and some of his best known paintings), just google him and click on images. You'll realize you do know a little of his work, probably more than just that floppy clock. And then there's the world's largest collection of Frank LLoyd Wright buildings, at the campus of Florida Southern Univ. in Lakeland. AND the world's largest collection of Tiffany glass, in Winter Park- on the east side of Orlando. Florida's a great destination (yeah, the Everglades, too!) any time of the year, and certainly one of the best when winter where you live is trying to make you forget you own a Westy.

kourt Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:54 pm

Howdy all,

I am traveling through west Texas this week in the van, but when I get a chance I'll update you all with more information about the spray port and how i built it. Stay tuned.

Thanks for all the compliments on my video.

kourt

VWinVT Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:22 am

kourt wrote: Howdy all,

I am traveling through west Texas this week in the van, but when I get a chance I'll update you all with more information about the spray port and how i built it. Stay tuned.

Thanks for all the compliments on my video.

kourt

:D :D I am in the designing and early building stage of my hot water shower/spray system. You made the idea that is in my head! :idea: :idea:

Rorke Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:45 pm

4 stars. Thanks
I am thinking about doing that trip this Feb