TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1973 bus Subaru conversion.
Bobfarley Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:38 pm

Hello all. My question is what is the difference between my 73 bus trans and and a latter model trans. I want to do the Subaru 2.5 conversion but all I can find is adapters for the later bus. Does any of you know if these adapters will fit my stock 73 trans? Thanks

danfromsyr Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:59 pm

besides the early 002 gearing is much more worse than the 091
there is a difference in the depth & inside diameter of the bellhousing and location of the starter ring..

you 'can' just swap out the bellhousing and input shaft from a 091 trans to your 002. but the motor will be topped out a bit early.. you'll still be 4000 rpms at 60mph.

search for Skills subie build for some insights to regearing the trans for your swap. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=92342

Wildthings Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:23 pm

FWIW, when I put a 2.2 Subaru in my '91 Vanagon with an automatic I stuck with the stock gearing and was very happy with it. Once I went with larger tires, 27x8.5r14's I noticed a reduction in tractive effort/ hill pulling ability and was less than pleased so eventually when back to the stock sized tire. Not sure how all this would relate to a bay with a 2.5L and a manual though.

To me the 2.2 seemed very happy spinning fast.

Bobfarley Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:49 pm

Thanks for the info. After looking a little more I did find an adapter for a 091 trans. I'm fine with slowly chugging down the road so the stock gearing will be fine.

vwwestyman Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:38 pm

Bobfarley wrote: Thanks for the info. After looking a little more I did find an adapter for a 091 trans. I'm fine with slowly chugging down the road so the stock gearing will be fine.

Then why on earth would you do all the work of putting a Subaru in there? :lol:

The gearing of the stock trans in my '73 was too short for my Vanagon motor, it is much happier when I installed the 091.

I'd think you could get it up and running and test things out and all that, but I'd recommend saving for a rebuilt/regeared transmission. You'll be much happier, I'm sure.

Edit to add to the comments about my transmissions: And the 091 isn't really tall enough for a Subaru. So the stock trans really won't work well for you long term.

skills@eurocarsplus Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:46 am

KEP has what you need

and yes, 002/091 gearing sucks. 091 will have you looking for 5th, and you will be at 3k+ at 65. not where Subaru's like to live